4

Chapter Four -

Zander's POV

"Uggh," I groaned as I ran my fingers through my hair, a habit I've picked up from my late father. He used to be the Alpha of Midnight Stone until he was attacked by roughs. It was unexpected, hitting us from all corners. The leader of the pack was no other than his own blood, my father. He was brutally killed, and the pack was left without a leader, so I took over. Fortunately, we were able to eat the rough, but at the cost of many lives, my father's included. Unfortunately, the b****rd gateway. Coward. My father didn't deserve to die the way he did. He deserved better, a great man that ever lived.

The pack mourned his death for months, taking its toll on the pack. It hit my mum the hardest, losing the love of her life, her soulmate. Time went by, and we eventually moved on, never forgetting the day my father, the Alpha, died, honoring him every day. I stared at the golden liquid, contemplating life. It has been 4 years, and I have yet to find her, my mate. The sole person I'm supposed to spend my life with. I have searched across Ireland and nothing. I'm starting to lose hope. Maybe I'm cursed. Maybe I did something to anger the Moon Goddess, and in return she denied me a mate. How can I run a pack without her by my side, supporting me? It's a miracle I'm still standing. I long for her day and night. Wondering what she'll look like. Will she smell like flowers? How would she feel about my touch? It drives me crazy. 

I drowned the remaining whisky down, embracing the bitter taste. I tiled my head backward as sleep creeped on. 

As my eyelids became heavy, I prayed that one day I would find my mate, welcoming the darkness as it engulfed me. Sinking into the bliss abyss. My last words as they drift in my mind. 'Till we meet, my Queen. 

"Yo, Alpha, came Devon, his voice annoying the hell out of me right now. He might be my best friend, but he sure gets under my skin sometimes. "What do you want, Devon?" I sigh. Devon gave me a devious smile. "What got you in such a bad mood, boss?" Did I interrupt something, eh, eh, eh. I growled at Devon. I wasn't in the mood for his behavior right now. 

He backed up a bit, hands out in mock surrender. "Geez, I was just kidding. Why are you in a bad mood? I mean, you're always in a bad mood, but you seem extra moody today. What's up." 

I scowled at Devon's words. "It's nothing, I replied. "What is it you want? I know you didn't interrupt my peace just to annoy me, right," I said pointedly. You're no fun. I rolled my eyes at his childish behavior. Devon, you're testing my patience. Right, he said all signs of play were gone. We have a problem. There's been a rogue spotted at the border, we caught their scent and followed suit, but we seemed to have lost them. 

Upon hearing this, I was pissed. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration. Not with the damn rogues again, I bite. "Do you think they're the same rogues?" We've been having issues with rogues lately. Most likely, their scent seemed vaguely familiar too. I also think they might be working with someone or something. My ears snapped to attention to this, "What makes you think that?" I said. Well, we seem to lose their scent almost immediately, and it's always in the same place. I paced the floor. They always seem to be one step ahead. Still pacing, I asked. "Is the patrol team still out there?"

"Last I checked, yes Alpha." I nodded in approval, that's good. "I think it's best if we add a couple more to the team. They will need to be more vigilant and alert. We don't know when they'll strike next. We will also need to inform the pack about the situation." 

"Roger that Alpha." I rolled my eyes at his goofiness. "Anything else."

"We're scheduled for a meeting this morning in relation to allies." There is also the annual meet up with the boarding school. They seem to be going through financial difficulty, and the principal asked if you could donate, seeing as your mother was a student at the school, and she'll normally cater to it. But, since she's technically no longer a Luna, at least currently, you have to attend it this year."

Damn, I've completely forgotten about that. Mum, the former Luna, was a passionate person, always giving and smiling. The memory of my mother darkened my mood. Both because I miss her - she's taking a break to grieve for her mate at her sister's pack – it also reminded me of the lack of a mate I had. I wish for my mate every waking moment, wishing, begging, praying to the Moon Goddess for my mate. I got nothing. 

I sigh, I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. "When would I be free, we might have to reschedule." I was hoping to have a stress-free day today. 

How naive of me. "6 o'clock is free," replied Devon. "Okay, then it's settled. Please inform the principal of the changes of time. In the meantime, I'll go for a run." I'll be needing it. 

"Roger that, Alpha." Today is going to be a busy day. 

.***

"Great," I said. Glad we got that settled. Thank you, Alpha Sean and Alpha Jack." I got to shake their hands. It was a pleasure. "No, thank you, Alpha Zander. You've been a great help. We appreciate it, and we're all too happy to be allies," replied Alpha Sean. I smiled, "We're honored." I feel that together we can reduce the threat of rogues. With our joined resources, the rogues don't stand a chance."

"I hope you're right," replied Alpha Jack. We said our final farewells, and they were on their way. I really hope we can solve the rogue problems. I opened my mind-link. "Devon, alert the pack. Please inform them to gather at the town hall." 

"What time should they meet?" replied Devon. "Three should be okay," I replied back. That would give me some time to unwind and go for that run my wolf has been itching for. 

Once outside, I got behind a tree and shipped. The familiar popping of bones alerted me of the transformation. Werewolves normally shift at the age of 18. The first shift is very painful, but afterwards it's natural and you no longer feel the pain.  Once shifted, my wolf shook his fur. Thunder is a pure black wolf. Giving Thunder the reins, my mind took a back seat. I see everything through his eyes now. Thunder bolted through the tree, the breeze rushing through his fur. I love running in wolf form. The rush it gives as Thunder and I run through the woods, swiftly dodging boulders and fallen trees. The sound of nature always calms me down. I always feel at peace and one with my wolf. I trotted to a nearby stream, lapping some water. I didn't realize how thirsty I was. Once we were done, we laid on the lush grass. Basking in the sun, a rare occurrence. 

"We should head back soon, it's getting dark, and we still have some work to do," I said to Thunder. We just got out. "You need to let me lose more often, replied my wolf. He was right. I've been so busy lately, I have had a chance to shift 'til today. I know, you're right. I'll try my best to let you out more often."

Alpha, there are rogues sited at the border," came Devon through the mind link. The urgency in his voice caught my wolf and I's attention, making us bolt into action. I was expecting them to act so quickly and so soon. It's a good thing that I instructed Devon to increase patrol. 

Through the mind-link, I replied to him. "Don't lose them no matter what. Have they sensed you yet?" I asked. "No Alpha, I don't think so, they seem to be engrossed in something. They aren't taking any sort of action," replied Devon. "In that case, lie low, and keep your eyes on them at all costs. Don't lose sight of them. I'm close. Make sure no one takes any further action until I've reached you. We need to further assess them before doing anything." 

"Yes Alpha," replied Devon. 

Before long, I met up with the rest. "What am I looking at guys?" It looks as Devon described to me earlier on. The rogues don't seem to be doing much, and thankfully they haven't spotted us yet. 

"Nothing has changed, they seem to be having a meeting. Weirdly enough, we could get anything they were saying, what should we do," replied Devon.

"Hmm," I thought it over. "I think it's best if we don't let on. Let them think they've got the upper hand. Two shoulders will stay guard, taking turns. That way, if there's any changes, we'll know. Sean and Jack, you'll keep watch."

"Yes Alpha," replied Jack and Sean in union. "The rest of us will start planning." We finally have the upper hand, I pondered. "Umm, Alpha," came Devon. "Don't we have a meeting with the boarding school in an hour?"

"Yes, thank you for reminding me. Okay, slight change of plan. Devon and I will address this meeting. In the meantime, Sean and Jack will stay in post and the remainder of you will continue with patrolling. Devon, please let Delta Joe know he'll be over before we return." 

"Roger that Alpha," replied Devon. "Let's get this meeting over with. We've got a long day today."