9

Chapter Nine

Sirena POV

Weeks have passed and I finally settled well. Although it's a bit weird sometimes living among werewolves and being the only human, what can I do? It is what it is. Cassie and I have spent pretty much every second together, they're practically inseparable. It's almost like twins joining the hips. If we were not with our mates we'd be together having a blast. Speaking of mates, Zander is wonderful., so understanding and patient with me, every girl dreams. He's also very overprotective, which apparently is normal for werewolves, especially males, even more so for Alphas.

I've been wanting to train like the others for a while now, but I'm not sure how to approach it. I'm also worried about how he'll take it.

I'm sure he'll understand if you explain it to him.

Hmm, yeah, I'm sure he will. Wait, I didn't think that thought. Who said that? I got nothing. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Nothing, as if it was never there. Maybe I just imagined it, even so it... I... whatever that was, had a point. I guess I'll be letting him know. If everything goes well, I'll be training like the rest.

***

After a nice relaxing soak. I got changed. All ready for the day. Today I thought I'd spend some time with the orphans and the pups.

I was in the kitchen baking cookies for the pups – they'd taken a liking to me as I had them – when a strong scent wafted throughout the kitchen. I cringed, I recognized the scent anywhere. No, please no, please don't let it be who I think it is, please, I silently begged.

My pleading went unanswered as moments later the owner of the pungent smell revealed her ugly head and that's not all she was revealing.

"Goddess, help me."

Ellie sauntered in like she owned the place – I later found out her name from one of her minions. They aren't any better, just thinking about them makes me cringe in disgust – I scoffed inwardly. Who does she think she is, Luna, please? She ain't fooling nobody. Ignoring her as best I could, I proceeded with the task on hand. I thought I'd bake cookies.

"Aren't you the girl who thinks she can take Zander away from me?" I didn't reply. I refuse to play her games, I'm not going to let her bring me down. " Hello, are you deaf or something?"

"Go away, Ellie, I mumbled, not in the mood. I know she means well, i just don't have it in me to deal with her. "He talks," she said sarcastically, sneering. She was seriously getting on my nerves. I'm this close to snapping, but I refuse to let it get to me and ruin my day before it even begins. So I continued to ignore her, praying she'll leave me alone.

The sound of retreating heels reached my ears. Peeking behind my lashes I watched her retreating, tightly cladded body leaving the kitchen. By the way she is walking and the low growls, she's pissed. I'm surprised she didn't do anything. Even so, I'm grateful.

I might have won the battle, but I have yet to win the war. I'm well aware this isn't the end, but for now I'm going to take it in stride.

***

The treats turned out perfect. I ended up making more than just cookies, it looked like a banquet fit for royalty. I might have gone a bit overboard, but it was required. After the whole fiasco with a certain she-wolf, I felt the urge to bake even more and remove the negativity she brought and left behind. That is how I found myself baking enough treats for the entire pack and then some.

Before I saw his presence, I caught his scent. That sounded weird. The aura radiating off him speaks of power.I made my knee weak. I thanked the Moon Goddess that he couldn't see due to the counter blocking his line of view. Unless he has x-ray vision. Oh, Goddess, I hope not.

"This is where you've been," said Zander. His voice alone makes my stomach do somersaults. "Hmm," my only response is a single word, I won't call it a word more like sound.

"These smell so good." I glanced at Zander just in time to prevent him from reaching for one of the treats. I swatted at his hand. "Those aren't for you." Zander played hurt, placing his hand over his hurt, puppy dog eyes and lips pouted. I rolled my eyes at his childish behaviour. "Your puppy dog face isn't gonna work on me. And therefore the orphans, I'm treating them to a picnic," I replied, putting the finishing touches on the cupcakes.

"I wasn't aware I'd be fighting for your affection with pups," he huffed. "You're such a big baby," I giggled. "If you want, you can join."

"I would love to, but unfortunately I won't be joining you, love."

"It's OK. I'd much rather be with the orphans anyway," I teased. "Is that so?" Zander replied, making his way to me, as he wrapped his arms around my waist. "Don't you have work to do?"

"It can wait," he replied, trailing kisses on my shoulders. "Zander," I replied, a moan threatening to escape. "As much as I'd love to continue, you have work to attend to and I have somewhere to be," I said, gently untangling myself from his grip.

I got on my tiptoes, pacing a tender kiss on his cheeks.

***

I knock on the door that accommodates the orphans. The house belonged to Mrs. Love, who runs the orphanage along with her husband. The sweet couple couldn't conceive and decided to welcome children who had lost their parents or rogues who were too young to take care of themselves. I'm grateful that this pack has someone like that.

The door swung open, revealing Mrs Love, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Luna, what a surprise," she replied, bowing her head in respect. "Come in, I wasn't expecting you," she replied while ushering me inside."I wanted to surprise the pups."

"That's so sweet of you Luna, you'll make a stupendous Luna for the pack," she replied. I couldn't help the giddy feeling that erupted and flooded my whole system. "Please just call me Sirena, Mrs. Love, and thank you."

"Only if you call me Doris," she replied. "Deal," I chuckled.

"How can I help you, Lu... Sirena," Doris asked, correcting herself last minute. I just thought I could surprise the pups with a picnic, lifting the picnic basket in my hand. "You didn't have to," she smiled fondly at me. I returned the gesture. "I know, I wanted to. I know how it feels to be alone, being an orphan myself. That's not to say you're not doing a good job," I replied.

"Thank you, Lu... Sirena," she replied, correcting herself, again. I reckon it'll take a while for her to get used to. "So where are the children?"

"They're in the backyard, they're going to be so excited," Doris replied, a twinkle in her eyes. She looked so much younger. She ushered me into the backyard, where I was met with boisterous pups. "Pups, I have a surprise for you," Doris announced, capturing the attention of the pups.

Later That Day

I sighed in content, besides the rocky start this morning, today was good. Images of the orphan's smiles and the perfectness of the date – sort of date – and how lucky I am to have Zander as my mate.

Zander later joined after he was done with Pack business – or at least that's what he said – and made a date out of it. It was perfect, I felt at peace; this is where I'm supposed to be. As the images floated in my mind, I snuggled into Zander as my eyes became heavy, slowly drifting to empty bliss.