dear mabel pt.1.

"Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler ( a classic song for a classic one), please engage, I love you xx

When Rana woke up that morning, she knew something was off with Harry's mood and she simply couldn't place it.

She had spent the night because they got comfortable after his cousin left and she didn't bother rushing home.

Late at night, Zayn arrived and mentioned something about Mabel's health. It wasn't detailed enough but it was more than enough to throw Harry off.

Rana managed to cuddle him to sleep but this morning, he's been awfully quiet and true to his nickname, moody.

Right now, she's handing him a cup of tea and tenderly observing his delicate features.

There's a little frown etched on his face and he chews on his bottom lip as he waits for any useful update.

Rana softly places a hand on his knee and almost flinches before remembering that it's his girlfriend with him.

"Sensitive?" she asks, calmly.

"Just...just a little," he replies, avoiding her stare.

"I'm sure Zayn will soon call with a proper update," she assures him.

"I want to go there," he mumbles.

"Where?" She frowns a little.

"Her house," he takes a gentle sip of tea.

"But she's at the hospital," Rana replies.

"Miss Ruth is at home," Harry says.

This makes Rana's heart flutter as she knows he's also attached to the precious cat of the precious old lady.

Unable to continue with the tea, he places it on the nearby table and lets out a little groan of discomfort.

Harry hates the anxiety that comes with uncertainty and he hasn't been in a situation like this before.

Mabel has always been strong and healthy. She's one of his oldest friends and obviously, she's an unlikely friend. They met after he wandered off at the park and bumped into Ruth.

She instantly knew something was a little special about the young man and they created an amazing bond.

Right now, nobody's telling him much about her health and he knows her only child is in town from Goa. He groans again and shakily reaches a hand to Rana, just to feel comforted.

Rana immediately takes his hand and gives him a supportive smile. It's just the two of them right now. Pet is overseeing the shop on their behalf and she keeps texting for updates.

"You're okay, lovie," Rana exhales, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"I want...I want Mabel to be okay too," he admits.

"Same here," she nods in agreement.

As they settle there in blissful silence, the door gently opens.

Zayn steps in and he's not alone. A young woman with rich brown skin and her thick curls pulled into a simple plait walks in behind him.

As soon as Harry sees her, he recognises her as Mabel's only child, Akira.

Akira is usually bubbly and excited. Right now, she looks exhausted and her eyes look like she's been crying but she wears a shaky smile.

Harry stands up and immediately walks over to her, towering her.

Akira manages to give him another smile and she cups his shaky shoulders, not sure if she can hug him.

"Akira, how are you?" he says with a small frown.