a moody and jammy xmas, pt 1.

our christmas series starts now, PLEASE ENGAGE as you read, ily xx.

Christmas, 10 years ago - a flashback

The holidays have always been slightly weird for Harry and his family. With his parents living in separate cities and his sister being away from home, he doesn't always know what to expect.

And that's a problem for someone who is extremely tied to his routines and plans. You can imagine the shock when his dad and sister surprised them with a visit just some days ago.

It was a beautiful surprise to Anne but she needed time to share the sudden update and changes of some plans with Harry.

As a teenager - a neurodivergent teenager, he has certain plans that cannot be messed with. Like today, he was supposed to go to the Christmas village with Zayn and his mum, and now he has two extra people to think about.

Ideally, he'd love it if he can stick to his plans but people seem to get hurt by stuff like that and he doesn't understand it.

Right now, everyone seems to have something to laugh about in the kitchen and he stays comfortable on the beanbag with his mother's cat, Poppy.

He enjoys his cup of hot chocolate and looks up to see his mother approaching him with a warm smile.

"Remember Paloma? She's moving back," Anne says, keeping her smile.

"I don't remember her," Harry replies, looking away.

"My best friend - she works around the world, okay you look upset," his mother folds her arms.

"No, I'm just bored," he says, still avoiding her stare.

"Gemma's been trying to talk to you," she replies.

"Why?" Harry is confused.

"You're her brother and she's missed you," she explains.

"Okay," that's all he says.

Anne smiles a little as she studies her precious son and she notes that his hand is mildly shaking. That's always a sign of his discomfort.

The hands shake before they find a chunky pile of curly hair to grab onto.

This time around he sets the cup aside and softly hugs the cat who appreciates the warm hug. Choosing to let him be, she calmly walks away and returns to the busy kitchen.

Harry closes his eyes for some seconds as he enjoys the comfort of the peaceful cat.

Soft footsteps approach him and he blinks his eyes open to see his older sister awkwardly smiling at him. He nearly drops the cat in panic and nervously giggles.

Gemma smiles at this and remembers her brother has always been unintentionally funny.

Harry holds onto Poppy and avoids his sister's gaze, wondering what she wants. They literally have nothing to talk about and he's not interested in starting a conversation just for the sake of it.

"Hi Harry," Gemma says, calmly.

"Hi big sister Gemma," he says, looking away.

"Oh no, you can just say Gemma," she chuckles in amusement.

"We don't know each other like that," he replies.

"I think you're wrong, we grew up together mate," she raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, and you left with him," Harry reminds her.

This stings Gemma but there's no black or white way to explain the separation of a family to someone who sees the world slightly differently.