Chapter 7

Some time later, the kids were still having dinner with Gomez.

"This house is my inheritance. My birthright. But it has become somewhat unbearable. Tell me, Mr O'Keeffe. Do you believe in ghosts?" said Gomez.

"Ghosts? Well, of course. We've seen ghosts loads of times" said Calvin.

"Good. Then that's a start. If you believe in ghosts, you must believe in monsters" said Gomez.

"Uh... sure. Sure we believe in monsters. I don't think it's a good idea to put that information on the listing though" said Calvin.

"The storm has swollen the river. The storm has flooded the road. I believe there'll be no leaving the mansion tonight" said Grandmama.

"What?!" said Sam.

"Huh?" said Charles Wallace.

"Of course, you are all more than welcome to spend the night here" said Gomez.

"Oh, we just couldn't; we've got plans" said Meg.

"I'm afraid there's no other way. Lurch will show you to your rooms" said Gomez.

Lurch led the kids upstairs and opened a door.

"Ladies first" he said to Sam.

Sam awkwardly nodded and said "Thank you".

As she walked in, she stared around the room.

"I like it" she said.

"Can Charles Wallace join her? I still think he's too young to have his own room in a public place" said Meg.

Lurch groaned and gestured for Charles Wallace to join Sam.

"Gee. Thanks, Lurch" said Charles Wallace.

"Hey, buddy. When you flush the toilet, check to see how quickly it refills" said Calvin.

"Good night, Calvin" said Sam.

"Good night" said Calvin.

Lurch led Meg into another room, opened the door and gestured for her to enter.

"Thank you. It's lovely" said Meg.

Finally, Lurch led Calvin to one last room.

"Thanks a million, Lurch. It'll be like spending the night in a fine hotel" said Calvin.

"Would there be any requirements from you, sir?" Lurch inquired.

"Uh... no, no requirements" said Calvin.

Without another word, Lurch closed the door and left. 

Calvin strolled around his room until he saw Grandmama enter.

"Grandmama. What a surprise" said Calvin.

"Pardon the intrusion, dear boy. Mr Addams was wondering if he could have a word with you in the library" said Grandmama.

"Oh, certainly. I'd love to have a word with him" said Calvin.

"Good boy. Now kindly follow me" said Grandmama sweetly.

"Of course" said Calvin doing as he was told.