Chapter 3

My mother barged into my bedroom, fuming. She had a lighter skin complexion than I did. I could see her cheeks red as tomatoes as she puffed in anger.

"Delilah Raidon! You have crossed my absolute limit. Why did I get a phone call from your principal about your 'bad' grades?" She questioned.

I just shrugged. Even if I do explain to her, she'd probably take the principal's side. She's a woman who respected people of authority.

"Don't you dare raise your shoulders at me. I asked you a question and I expect you to give me an answer to my question with your words. God gave you a month to talk, so use it." She demanded.

She stared at me in anger and I shifted my gaze to my shoes.

"Mom, she said my grades aren't looking good so she said she'll give you and dad a call to set up a meeting." I explained.

"And why aren't your grades looking good?" She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Because I don't like school.". I mumbled.

"Speak up!"

"I said because I don't like school." I rose my voice a step.

My mother's demeanor changed. It became less tense but remained firm.

"So you're failing because you don't like school?"

I nodded my head but quickly replied with a yes.

Delphia looked shocked but not in an obvious way. She slightly gasped with that look of 'Is that so?'

"Okay." She said as she looked at nothing in particular.

Her eyes then landed on me, "Not in my house." She sternly said then left my room.

I stood there, not knowing what to say or do. Should I follow her or should I remain in my bedroom? I chose the latter.

**********************************

At dinner time we all sat around the table eating dinner that my mother made.

My father, Dwight, sat at the head of the table. He was a very fit man, one who spent his free time in the gym instead of infront of a television.

My younger brother, Johnson, had joined us. He sat adjacent to my father and I sat next to him.

My mother sat opposite Johnson and Elin sat across from me.

"Delilah tell your father what you told me earlier. Tell him why you're failing your classes." My mother said, as she put a spoon full of food in her mouth.

I looked to my father who waited for my response.

"I'm failing because I don't like school." I softly said.

My father furrowed, "I have no idea what you just said." He stated.

"I said I'm failing because I don't like school."

He looked at me as if I had three heads.

"So you're failing by choice?" He questioned.

I simply nodded my head.

"That's so cool." My brother happily said.

I looked to him and he had a toothy grin. One of his front top teeth fell out which kinda gave him a comical look, which I found cute.

"Nothing is cool about that. Eat your food." My mother told him, pointing to his food.

Johnson's smile disappeared as he went back to eating his food.

"Look Delilah, when I was in school, I too hated it but I had no choice but to go to school. I knew that if I ever wanna get into a good college or varsity, I had to get good grades. And these days without good grades, you can't really get far in life." My father said.

"But look at Elin. She didn't go to college or varsity but she's far in life." I said.

"This isn't about me." I heard Elin say.

I looked at her and she looked away. She hated being the topic of discussion at the dinner table.

"You're not Elin. So you're gonna continue going to school and you're gonna get those grades up. Do you understand me, Delilah Raidon?" My mother sternly asked.

"Yes ma'am." I simply said.

"Good, now finish eating and make sure you wash my damn dishes." She said, pointing to the plates on the table as she stood up and walked out the room.

My father followed behind her without saying a word.

You'd think my mother wears the pants in her marriage but she actually doesn't. My father is as strict as she is but he's low key about it.

Delphia chooses to say what she feels in the moment. She does all the disciplining in the family. My father choses to be softer on us because he believes having two strict parents would make us feel oppressed.

My mother isn't cruel, she's just strict and has a certain way of raising us. We're all used to her personality and don't feel attacked in any way.

She has her days where she's soft and playful but we all know not to cross a certain boundary and that is why she's respected in our community.