Chapter 9

Peyton, Ashen and I sat in a row together. After I got to know each of them, I joined them by sitting between both of them.

We've been seated here for hours. Nothing has happened yet. I had no idea what time it was, if it was night or day.

"Do you know what we're here for?" Peyton softly questioned.

Peyton is one to never ever raise her voice. It's like she was scared to use her normal indoor voice but it didn't bother me at all. I prefer quieter voices than the loud indoor voice.

I shook my head at her. I don't think any of us in this room knows why we're here.

"I've been here for a while now. About 6 men usually come in and drag some girls out. Two guard the door, the other four carry the girls out. 2 carry one and the other 2 carry another." Ashen told.

"Did you guys eat?" I questioned.

"No."

I swallowed at the thought of going hungry. I don't really eat much but I do get something in my stomach every few hours.

"What about water?" Peyton softly asked.

"We get sips of water. Enough to just to keep us alive."

I looked at nothing in particular. There's no way this can be happening to me right now.

I heard a sniff coming from Peyton. I looked to her and she had tears rolling down her face.

This immediately made my eyes water. What if these are our last few days alive, what if it's our last few moments alive?

I gave her a side hug and she wrapped both her arms around me tightly. The tears we're now rolling down my face in streams.

I was afraid just like every single girl in this room but I've never experienced this type of level of fear. The one that has you thinking about all your life choices. The one that made you question if whether or not you'll see your family again. The type where you felt like you're drowning, not physically but mentally and emotionally.

The type where the thought of being saved felt so distant but death felt so near.