Chapter 28

A few months later

I walked to Delphia with my report card in hand. I looked over it and I did pretty well. Got all A's and one A+. The only reason I achieved those results was because I didn't want to disappoint my mother.

Delphia was seated at the island with a smoothie in hand and her focus on a bunch of papers in front of her.

"Hi mom. Here's my report card." I said handing her the paper.

She took it from me and her eyes began scanning the paper. I stood there waiting for a lecture.

"Good. Just need to get those A's to A+s." Is all she said.

I nodded my head and sighed in relief. I was glad that she said nothing negative about it because I did do my best.

I walked to Elin's room with a smile on my face. I heard the shower running so I took it that she was in the shower. I slumped onto her bed and layed on my back. Being academically stress-free was the best.

After a few minutes Elin walked out the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her.

"What did she say?" She asked taking out her clothes from her closet.

"Good. Just need to get those A's to A+s." I mocked Delphia.

She laughed while putting on her shirt. "Pure evil." She said.

"Yeah. Delphia will always be Delphia, nothing is ever good enough for her." I said.

Despite her uptight personality I wouldn't trade Delphia for anyone in this world.

*************************

We were all in the living room chilling as a family, doing our own thing. Elin was on her phone, Johnson was on the floor playing with his cars, Dwight was doing work on his laptop and Delphia was reading a book. I was watching TV but I wasn't focused on it. My mind was somewhere else.

I've been thinking about a few things. How life would be if Delphia wasn't as strict as she is. If she allowed us to just be without her breathing down our necks. What it would feel like to get affection from her. Even a simple smile. What it would be like to have a care-free, loving mother.

Maybe if I spoke to her about it she would give it more thought. But I think if I speak to her now with everyone in the room, they'd back me up.

"Mom, dad I have something important to discuss with you." I said affirmatively.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me. Dad looked up from his laptop, mom stopped reading, Johnson stopped driving his cars and Elin stopped typing away on her phone.

"Uhmm..." I said getting a little nervous from all the stares. Delphia went back to reading her book.

"Mom."

She looked at me then placed her book down. Giving me her full attention.

"I wanted to talk to you about affection and gentle parenting."

Elin started shaking her head and for a second I wanted to back down but I already started, there's no going back now.

"We've grown up and got used to your ways of parenting but I think a few things need to change." I said.

Dad closed his laptop and sat up. Mom did the same. I swallowed the fear and looked at Johnson. He had a small smile on his face, like he's been dying for this conversation to happen. I looked back at Delphia.

"With Johnson I think it's best if you show him more affection and be a little gentle with him. Also about how Elin and I's approach to life, mom you can't control everything that we choose to do. What we consume should be our choice, not yours. We understand that you're our parents and we respect that but all I'm asking of you guys is to just be a little gentle with us." I explained.

The room was silent and the atmosphere was heavy. We looked from one another, no words were exchanged between us.

Dwight cleared his throat which gained everyone's attention.

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts Dee." Dad said.

"Yeah, thank you for that." Mom said sarcastically.

When Delphia says anything sarcastically, it's not good. I should've just listened to Elin.

"Here we go." I heard Elin mumble.

I looked at her and she was emotionless. I swallowed then looked at mom.

"What you will not do is check me on my parenting. When you have your own kids, you can do all of that but don't you ever in your life, come at me like that. As your parents we do everything that we can to provide for you and make sure that you're protected. Why? Because that's our responsibility. All three of you are our responsibility so how we choose to raise you is absolutely our choice." Delphia stated. She was turning a little pink so I know that I pissed her off.

"Okay mom but I get where Delilah is coming from." Elin said.

Delphia sent her a glare and I panicked a little. The only person that Delphia should be attacking is me.

"She's right love. I totally agree with the affection part. I think we need to be more affectionate towards Johnson. He needs that." Dad chipped in.

Delphia sighed and the room fell silent again. Delphia went back to reading and that lead to all of us going back to what we were doing before this discussion.

"Elin, Delilah, Johnson stand up." Delphia said after a few minutes.

She put down her book then stood up. She was looking at us, waiting for us to stand up too. Johnson and I slowly stood up but Elin was still seated. I waved her over and she rolled her eyes standing up.

"Come here." Delphia said.

We all looked at each other. All of us standing as still as statues. I looked at dad and he seemed just as clueless as we were.

We walked over to Delphia and she opened her arms wide. Was she giving us a hug?

"Mom are you okay?" Elin asked, concern laced in her tone.

"Come here." Delphia said again.

Elin walked up to her then Delphia wraps her arms around Elins neck, pulling her into a hug. Johnson walked up to her next and he wrapped his arm around Delphia's waist. I walked up to her and she pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back because I can't remember the last time I got a hug from my mother. We all stood there in a group hug.

"I love you all so much.." She said. I smiled because that warmed my heart.

"We love you too." We said in unison.

I felt a weight behind me and noticed that dad had joined in on the group hug.

"I love you all." He said, his voice vibrating on my back.

"We love you too." We all said in unison. We all started laughing.

I loved this moment. The love I felt was out of this world. This is a moment I'll cherish forever.

THE END