Wakas

#BehindHisCurtainWakas

"I don't get it."

Eugene laughed on my right before elbowing me on my waist. "Seriously, you've been here for the past three or four years, and still get confused?"

"Maybe the fact I'm a Filipino was enough for me to be confused about how they celebrate their weddings." I shift at my position. "In the Philippines, we just give them appliances for wedding gifts!"

"Well, you said it already! You're in Singapore, mate. Not in the Philippines."

Someone stopped behind our table and offered us drinks. Umasa ako na wine iyon pero nang makita na tsaa, I jokingly retched on my lap. Our other friends looked at me with funny looks and I just laughed afterwards.

This dome, which served as the couples' venue for reception is exceptionally ginormous. Sigurado ako na ito ang pinili dahil malaki ang dalawang pamilya na naging isa kanina. And forget about how the middle of the hall was filled with countless tables and chairs, the stage full of flowers and large speakers, kanina pa sa simbahan sumasakit ang mga mata ko dahil sa motif ng buong kasal.

One of the sons of our boss have just got married. And we're lucky enough na kaibigan namin siya dahil sa kaniya kami under nagtratrabaho; though his parents own the whole company, the construction company, where we are in, are held by the son who just got tied with a beautiful woman.

As one of his groomsmen, we are required to wear a tang suit: a long red shiny fabric where the sides of it is cut until to the side of the knees. The groom is wearing it like this but unlike us, with plain red ones, his suit is embellished in gold Chinese arts and in bright red.

Mabuti na lang February ang kasal at hindi masyadong mainit kanina sa labas. I gallivant my eyes and saw unfamiliar faces walking back and forth, plates tucked on their hands.

"I enjoy the mini games yesterday." I said to Eugene.

"That's how 'Fetching the Bride' works. And it's funny, too! I can't wait for the pictures to come out!" and he chuckled so hard.

"Oh, please, not that egg game again," sapo ko na ang noo ko. "You and Dei pushed me! That's why I forgot about the egg!"

"Still, you made a mess in Aria's house."

Umirap na lang ako. Before the wedding, so yesterday, we did that thing called 'Fetching the Bride' in the bride's house. Just like what the name says, the groom and his band of brothers will fetch the bride. But before that, they must face some challenges, assisted by the bridesmaids and should pass each given task.

Umuwi ako sa apartment ko na naglalagkit dahil sa itlog na 'yun. I don't think our victory over those challenges matter because wala man lang nag-abot sa akin ng wipes o towel! Tapos pinagtatawanan ako kanina nang dumating ako sa temple.

They should be thankful I'm used to their personalities dahil maghahanap talaga ako ng ibang mga kaibigan. At least nagbunga 'yung halos ilang taon na sila ang kasama ko sa trabaho.

"I heard they're giving a summer vacation for us," bulong ko dahil nagsasalita na 'yung parents ng bride sa may stage. "Where you planning to go?"

"No plans. You?"

"I'll go home, I think." hindi ko mapigilan ang ngiti. "I failed to go home last Holidays, so why not that?"

"You sure?" Eugene looks at me scrupulously. "I'd bet my life that vacation will only run for one or two weeks. Your travel back home won't be worth it."

"I believe it would still be worth it. I miss them." sumandal ako nang mariin sa upuan at kumuha ng dumpling sa plato ko. "You can come with me! I'll tour you around!!"