Predatory- XLV

When I awoke, it was because Hayden was whispering quietly to my mother "Just hold it open, I can move fine."

I stirred faintly, causing the arms holding me to tighten ever so slightly; a soft warm breath of air fanning into my temple "I've got you, go back to sleep".

I murmured incoherently, pushing my face deeper into Hayden's neck; my feet swaying slightly as he continued walking. My mother must have been holding a door open for him, my bedroom I groggily realized, for she closed it softly once he had entered, diminishing the bright hallway light that was hurting my closed eyes, even with my face pressed into the shadows beneath me.

"Alys, I need you to move your arms. I am putting you down."

"Dare I say she won't wake even if you dump in her bed." My mother sarcastically mused, all too aware that I was capable of remaining unconscious in the most ridiculous of times. I stirred slightly again, wanting to open my eyes to glare at her, but stilled when the soft rumble of a laugh left Hayden's chest. It wasn't loud enough for her to hear, but it was so comforting to listen to I felt myself dipping back into the abyss of nothingness.

I felt the soft sheets of my bed graze my feet as Hayden leaned forward and lowered me down. My hands and arms were removed from his neck tenderly, and I almost fought that movement for I wanted nothing more than to remain his warmth.

"You need to wake up to say goodbye" Hayden whispered softly and at that I felt myself awaken. I cracked my eyes open, finally seeing him before me, barely illuminated by a gold lamp on my far desk.

"I told you I'd be here when you woke up."

I focused on the slight smile coming into focus. Blinking, I brought his face back into view and made my vision adjust to meet his gaze. Without fail, it took my breath away.

The look Hayden was giving me... it was a version of him the world had never seen before, not until these last few weeks. I never thought of his face as being soft, gentle, welcoming. He used to smile with such cold eyes, tight sharp grins and a predatory stillness that it was abrasive, though beautiful.

When had he changed? Was it because of me? The warm golden light from the lamp was pooling into his grey eyes, making it look like the moon when it was low on the horizon and became gilded with the setting sun's light. He was smiling softly, a finger playing with my hair as he leaned in close to whisper more.

"Little did I realize how tired you really were, you slept on me for 5 hours straight."

"Oh," I whispered hoarsely, my voice cracking from the long sleep. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Again, that finger gently moved along my cheek and hairline "I'll pick you up tomorrow morning so you don't have to walk again and pretend you didn't want a ride." He teased and before I could answer he leaned forward and kissed me on the lips. The warmth of his skin moved slowly across mine and I greedily leaned forward into it. To my dismay, he ended it before I could fully kiss him back. Probably for the best as I knew my mother was still waiting for Hayden by the door.

"Sleep tight, sweetheart" he murmured against my skin.

I snorted slightly, finally saying, "You've called me that so many times when I thought you hated me and I hated you. I sometimes forget you don't mean that as a tease anymore."

"I never hated you." Hayden said quietly, those oddly golden-grey eyes burning into my gaze "And I always meant it when I said it."

My eyes widened but he just stepped away, those moonstruck irises watching me, "goodnight Alys. I'll see you in the morning."