023

Earlier that day

Jungkook's head continued snapping left and right as his mind raced. Then he came to a realisation. Looking a little lower around himself, he noted that they were on the roof of a small apartment complex. There was an inner court with balconies that faced in and more importantly, not out. Pointing downwards, he hung his legs over the ledge and dropped down onto a balcony.

The land wasn't too steep, fortunately. Eunha, who had watched him, slid down after him, holding onto his shoulders as he caught her and supported her down. Out of range, the sound of grunting faded a little. Not wanting to waste time, Jungkook made a decision. Clasping both of Eunha's hands gently in his own, he pushed down the exhilarated feeling and waited.

He wasn't sure if what she had said earlier had meant what he hoped it meant, but he would ask her properly, later. His priority now was making sure that they, that she, made it back safely. Eunha finally turned her distracted eyes to him.

"We need to split up." He whispered. Her hands trembled in his as she shook her head violently. What did he say? Split up?!

"No. No!" She hissed at him, gripping his hands tightly. He was quiet.

"I don't want you to get hurt or see more of them than you have to." He murmured with a small bite of the corner of his upper lip.

"But why do you have to? Let's just go together, uh?" She pleaded. Jungkook shook his head.

"I need you to get back to the terminal and tell them exactly what we saw, the seventeen zombies, the new abnormal, all of it. I will try to get them off your tail and away from the terminal. This is what we need to do as scouts right? Explore and report. Please." He added when her large eyes still looked hesitant.

Eunha looked at him deep in the eye, still shaking her head. She knew as well as any of their friends that Jungkook was recklessly kind, but she knew that he also wasn't foolish. Her head shaking stopped. He wasn't trying to sacrifice himself for her. He was just trying to do what had the best chance of success.

"You have to come back in one piece." She finally ordered after deliberating with herself for a while, fingers tightening around his own in warning. Jungkook beamed at her and nodded, finally releasing her. Eunha tried not to think about how cold her hands now felt or how her heart clenched when he gave her that smile.

"I'm going to go toward that subway station. Wait until you hear most of them follow after me before you go back. You move lightly, but still, please be careful." He instructed. Eunha confirmed that she understood. Exhaling in short breaths, Jungkook sent her one last warm expression with determination glinting in his eyes before hauling himself back onto the roof with ease.

Eunha listened as the sound of thuds impacted her ears and grunting and growling followed. Then the thuds and grunts began to fade. After she heard the last grunt, Eunha slowly counted to fifty, aware of the possibility that the abnormal zombie may have lingered. When she finished counting, she uttered a quick prayer. Please let Jungkook and I make it back safely.

Lowering her hands, Eunha squared her shoulders. Hopping onto the banister of the balcony, she spread her arms and stabilised herself, just like she did on the balance beam. Poised, she leapt up, grabbing the rooftop and vaulting herself over the edge. Stilling for a moment, she deduced that it was safe to move when she heard nothing.

If she wanted to get to the terminal, she would need to cross quite a wide road. There was a overhead walkway to cross the road but she would need to be on the ground to get onto it. Eyes darting, Eunha hopped down from the rooftop, aiming for the wall that she and Jungkook had previously scaled.