026

By the time Jungkook and Eunha had returned to the main terminal hall, Jimin had gathered Namjoon, Jin, Yoongi, Hoseok, Taehyung and the scouts together to listen to Jungkook's report.

"Eunha already told us about the horde and the new abnormal, but do you have something new to talk about?" Namjoon dived right in as soon as the pair were seated. Jungkook nodded and held up two fingers.

"Firstly, just like Eunha probably told you, the new abnormal was looking for the two scouts that another likely abnormal had seen yesterday. When we split up today, it had attacked me with hopes of immobilising me-" he was cut off by gasps of horror. Before his friends could swarm him again, he held out his hands.

"I'm fine! Eunha already treated me, it's only some muscle pain. Calm down and let me finish." He ordered. Reluctantly, Jaehyun, Seokmin and Eunwoo sat back down.

"Thank you. The second thing I wanted to mention was what I saw on my way back here. To get back I used the rail tracks on the subway and I found something pretty interesting."

"What was it?" Hoseok asked. Jungkook's hands began to gesture to indicate spacial dimensions.

"You know how there are two train lines that pass through Nambus Bus Terminal Station? Well if you walk to the exact place where the rails cross each other, there's this huge cavern and a locked door. Looking at the subway map, if we could follow Line 3's route using the subway, we could make it as far as the Han River, no problem."

Namjoon tapped the table as he thought these two pieces of information over. Why would they go to the river?

"You want us to explore closer to the Han instead of to the edge of the city?"

"I don't think we're getting very far on the ground. We've gotten as far as the barrier that blocked the motorway to Incheon and that was it. Everywhere else is too far." Jungkook replied. Scanning the faces of the other scouts and taking in their contemplative expressions, Namjoon nodded and continued tapping.

"Let me get this straight so we're on the same page. From what you've both reported, an abnormal, perhaps more than one even, is actively looking for uninfected people, and they're getting closer to where we are. Would you say that's the situation right now?" He queried.

"We didn't stick around to observe, so I can't say for sure that they have or haven't been going in and out of buildings. They may only be looking for people who are going around outside." Jungkook answered truthfully. Yoongi cocked his head at this.

"Really? Because since the government advised everyone stay inside, who have you seen outside aside from ourselves?"

"But we're only in one part of the city, and we haven't gotten all that far if we're honestly being realistic." Eunha reasoned.

"...You're right." Yoongi conceeded, seating himself at a table and resting his chin on his hand.

"The abnormals seem like they retained more cognition than other zombies but the one that tried to come into the terminal that time didn't actually try to come in, he tried to get us to let him in." Namjoon recalled.

"But it's also possible that he tried the door and figured that if he couldn't come in, then he'd get us out." Jimin countered.

"Or maybe he was testing to see if there were really people inside. He saw that we came in through the bus and coach park but that side is completely inaccessible unless they have some kind of superhuman abilities. He could have been checking if we left the parking lot." Jin suggested.

"Or, they're waiting for people to run out of food and come outside." A quiet voice interjected. They all turned over to Taehyung who was looking at the food stalls thoughtfully. Namjoon's eyes widened. It was certainly the same thing he had thought earlier. But if that was the case...

"If it came down to a waiting game, we could stay for at least another month with what we have here." He stated after scanning the food stalls once more.

"But other people may not be able to do that. Houses are smaller than the terminal." Hoseok finally stepped into the conversation as she began to catch what Taehyung was getting at.

"That means if more people come out and get infected..." Everyone sent each other concerned looks as the realisation dawned on them. More and newly infected people meant that the streets would crowd again since there hadn't been another explosion since the initial one. This batch could even end up being a group full of abnormals.

"We'll be stuck." Hoseok bitterly concluded. One of the ladies who worked in the terminal had approached, catching the tail end of their conversation.

"Aigoo, to think I wouldn't be able to use my son's gift after he worked so hard." She sighed. Jin glanced over at her, keeping his expression in check. That was certainly random, but something within him, perhaps his manners, encouraged him to follow her train of thought.

"Your son?" He asked. The lady, Ms Ryu, made a noise of confirmation.

"My son works at a bank but he had been learning how to invest for years. After many trials and errors, he earned a huge amount five years ago. He bought the rights for the land on one of the small islands for me and a boat to take me there." Namjoon felt his ears prick and he locked eyes with Yoongi who had lifted his head like an alert meerkat. No way...?

"In between then and my retirement which was supposed to happen this winter, he built me property on the island and made it self sufficient. Said I could rent out the extra buildings or extra rooms in the main house and turn the whole thing into a hotel or resort if I wanted to." Hoseok and Yujin pressed their hands against their mouths to contain their gasps. Did she even realise what she was saying right now?

"Since it's one of a cluster of islands, there's a market and a clinic too, you just have to cross some bridges. But you can only reach the cluster by boat." Ms Ryu continued, unaware of the epiphany falling upon the youth around her.

"I was going to make it my retirement home and rest after working my whole life...but now there are monsters patrolling the street and I don't even know if my son is alive or not." She sobbed out, finally unable to say more. Jin strode over to her and bent down.

"I'm sure your nerves must be grated. All we can do is pray that your son is doing well and ensure that you also stay well so that he can be at ease too." He said tenderly. Ms Ryu looked down at him with teary eyes and barely managed a smile. Namjoon came to kneel at her feet beside Jin.

"Aunty, what do you think about going there?"

"Hm?"

"Yeah, what if we tried to go to your island that your son built for you? You would be away from all the mess right now, and you wouldn't be lonely because we would all come with you, if that's okay with you of course." He elaborated, swallowing.

If they had a clearer goal of where to go, they could refine their exploration efforts to just finding a route or two that would enable them to get to that island cluster. They'd be stress free for a long time over there.

Ms Ryu nodded her head, slowly at first and then gaining speed.

"O-omo, I never even thought about it! If we can go there safely then let's do that." She agreed with hope lighting her eyes. Nodding his head in thanks, Namjoon rose to his feet, calling for Joohyun, Jin, Yoongi, Hoseok, Seulgi, Ms Ryu and the gentlemen to follow after him as a new strategy began to form in his mind.