Danger 8.3

33 miles.

Their routine went on as the hidden sun began to set, soon enough they decided to rest in a gas station, the food wasn't taken, it was ripped apart and spread around. The children now had better clothing, fortunately the first home that they stopped in had children clothing that they could change into, especially Molly since she wore a bright yellow dress when entering the grocery store that early morning with her sister. Now she wore thick sweatpants that kept her warm and a thick jacket.

Stephan had found a baby carrier, which made it easier for Stephan to carry the baby in, with Beatrice's careful insertion. Not once was he allowed to look at her baby, gaining curiosity in the children's faces.

There were arguments back and forth about their next step, and then at times silence, unnerving and uncomfortable. Then it happened.

"Everyone stop!" Avery urged in a quiet hiss as he made everyone stop. There was a creature right in front of the group, a bit further from them but nonetheless it stared directly at them.

"What is that?" Beatrice said in disgust.

"It's the creature we saw on the ceiling of the house!" Casket exclaimed quietly and she nervously looked around to make sure they could go into a house nearby to hide and defend themselves. There was no homes that have their door intact.

They shivered at the animal before them. It held no fur to defend itself from the cold snowy weather, patches here and there but nothing that can block the effect of frost bite, but seeing as it wasn't frozen solid it must have some type of defence system on its skin or something.

It walked on all fours, but the way his back was hunched over it knows how to walk on its hind legs. And the theory proved correct when it saw motion and propped itself up on it's two legs. It's tail was long and sharp at the end, fur seemed to grow properly at the tip but nothing more. Long ears poked out and it's slit yellow eyes seemed to tremble and look at another place to find any prey. The teeth were no laughing matter either, sharp and long, complimenting it's sharp dangerous teeth was a long lender tongue.

"Holy fuck! Is that a wendigo? A shape shifter?!" Rocky entered a comment as he was beginning to feel a little comfortable with everyone

"Your mom's a wendigo! Shut the hell up or we'll get killed!" Casket glared as she turned around to see the monster make its way to them slowly on all fours.

"The house next to us, now." June said calmly as he walk towards the house next to them slowly, keeping contact with the beast. "Slowly."

Everyone did the same exact thing, slowly they walked towards the house whose green door was burt to a crisp somehow and they held their breath as the beasts head also stared at them, turning its head slowly and following their movement, but oddly enough they didn't pounce or his at the group at all. Then a thud occurred in the metal shelf box.

Little Molly stumbled and fell to the floor, a rock covered in snow and tripped her feet and it was hidden from the eye. Tripping on the rock she clashed against Stephen's back who held the baby and he in turn also fell down.

Because he held onto the baby he fell and heard a crack, he winced at the sound. The metal box was pushed to the side as Beatrice came forward with a crazed look.

"You stupid child, what did you do to my baby!?" She screamed as she picked up her baby, as a result the blanket that bundled the baby fell, revealing a fake baby doll that was porcelain, the cracking sound was the result of it's. Now missing and broken off leg.

Due to her scream the beast reacted this time, in pounced and ran, hoping from one house onto the side of a car and then back onto the road. As if showing off it's abilities it dashed forward and broke through the metal box that was in its way and sliced Beatrice in half while the rest ran inside and barricaded themselves with the broken door and flipped over furniture. The crunching at the outside was loud and clear.

It was obvious the monster was feasting.

---

The group was smaller now, and the box was now broken from the beast. It was currently walking around the homes perimeter and sniffing the ground. Pulling away from the only intact window with a curtain, Avery began to scowl in frustration. Unsure on how to lean, then someone walking into the living room.

Everyone turned to see Shawn with a surprise. He held onto two rifles, there was a small gun as well a Sig Sauer P238, a sawed off shot gun with an automated ak.

"Military home." June shrugged as he appeared suddenly from behind Shawn.

"Omg! I want the P238!" Casket said with a wicked grin.

"You're under age, you're not getting a gun!" Kenny piped up with a huff as she snatched the gun from her reaching hand.

"Really? Underage?" Casket said with a look of amusement and hatred. "You do realize we're all in danger right?"

"What if you get hurt?" Kenny said with absolute resolve.

"What if I die?" Casket countered.

"Stop it you two, we need to think up a plan on how to deal with that monster, we have guns and limited ammo now, but what if bullets doesn't work?" Avery came inbetween the two bickering ladies and controlled the situation.

"Not fair." Casket grumbled as she sat down on the tattered couch with a glare situated onto the scratched and cracked tiled floors. She looked like a child not getting the candy she wanted and instead the candy was given to someone she hated.

Kenny and Nancy left towards the kitchen and opened up the fridge, for the town to look completely destroyed and abandoned everything was still up and running, there was electricity and running water as well. So cooking up a meal for everyone was perfect

With a full tummy everyone fell asleep, except for June who was first lookout.

He was sitting on a wooden chair with a shot gun on his lap, his gaze out a skylight between the ceiling and wall, looking out to the moon up in the sky, it looked like it had become bigger than he last remembered. Coming up behind him was a looming person, looking up he saw Shawn staring down at him.

"Go sleep." He said with a look of concern.

"I'm okay Shawn, you go to sleep I'll wake you up for the next shift." June said as he smiled gently.

Lifting his hand Shawn brushed the hair out of the way, his dark blue eyes met with golden eyes. Both gazed at one another as if they were soul mates, bending down Shawn gave a long kiss on June's forehead.

"I knew you guys were fucking." Casket yawned as she entered the guest bathroom.

With small dusting on his cheek, June nudged Shawn away and gave a hushed cough. Throughout the rest of the night, June and Shawn kept each other company, not an ounce of sleepiness or sluggishness was evident when everyone woke up. And angry Avery did get up and scolded June and Shawn.

"What are you two doing?! Didn't I say to wake me up when it my turn?" He said like a nagging wife.

"It's okay, you look like you needed the rest, you've been stressed lately-" before he could finished a loud roar sounded from outside.

It seems the monster outside was tired of sniffing the floor, or it found what it was looking for.

25 miles.