Chapter 47 Admiration

[Master, Selig’s wish was to see the day when humanity was able to prosper once more.] The system spoke up after Selig ordered it. [Master, may I ask something?]

Selig was walking down the road, he still wore his white and neatly ironed white lab coat. He held ten identical ones in his space just in case the current one was too damaged or dirty to wear anymore.

“I don’t see why not, go ahead.” He had been trying to look for a home to stay in, and commence his research for a cure, he wasn’t about to go with the leads of this world. Wherever they went, trouble followed.

Of course when being a side character and not a main one, he could only avoid so much before he was eventually found. Whether a side character was moved out of the story it did not matter, the character would eventually bump into the main character or the main character would go to them and develop the story further, but that wasn’t the only option, if for some reason the side character was unable to continue say they were placed in jail or died then another compatible side character would take it’s place and fulfill their role instead.

With that behind said does that also mean it could happen to main story characters? Could main character’s titles be swapped towards another if the main character strayed from it’s role too much. It was a theory he always wanted to try but couldn’t never seem to succeed since changing a person’s personality entirely would be almost impossible, they had to work on them the minute they were born or in a stage where they had to be developed.

[Why follow with your characters wishes?] The question the system spoke broke Selig out of his train of thoughts.

. . .

Selig didn’t know how to answer, but felt the need to do them since he was always forced to do the main characters wishes and never it’s own body’s wishes.

The system in the past would always order him to complete certain conditions to accomplish the main characters own desires and discard anyone else who did not fit into the picture, and he supposed deep down he always wanted to do so to the bodies he had possessed or taken over.

“There’s no reason for you to ask questions, just focus on what I order you to do.” Has he become the system instead? But then again Selig isn’t ordering the system around for the system itself to go through any pain or discomfort, does it even feel at all? It definitely holds a curios side to it for asking such a question.

[Yes master…] The system said, uncertain of feeling.

-

It was his third week out in the dangerous world. His head strong personality was obvious and admirable, since he was alone he didn’t have to act like the original, plus no one he knew was alive so it didn’t matter much to keep up such a timid and shy characteristic.

He knew full well that one of his theories was proven right, that when a supporting role like Selig is meant to meet the male lead or any of the leads, at one point or another they’ll have to bump paths. If he was any other kind of cannon fodder he would have easily been replaced by another idiot fool who will die by their hands. The story will either pull him towards the leads, or the story will come to him. And that was what had happened during a walk through a small abandoned town, he heard a group of trucks heading his way. Looking down at his dirty white lab coat and the black jeans he wore. He’s had a good amount of luck, mainly being the ones to save humanity he was spared from confronting any types of zombies until the main characters had made their appearance.

And when he was surrounded by a hoard of zombies which he could have killed off with the armory he had on him, he knew they were near. But something changed, he was thinking of going out of script for this character but decided otherwise in that split second, instantly he acted like his character’s personality and trembled with fear, not a moment later, the zombie which had been about to take a chunk out of his raised up arm was shot through the head and fell down without a single twitch to it’s rotting body.

The same was met with the other twenty, and he was now standing in the middle of a pile of bodies when four huge trucks came to a stop by him.

“Oi, you okay kid?” A rough looking man asked as his head popped out of a hatch on the truck’s roof.

“Y-yes, thank-thank you.” Selig gave a small bow to the man.

“How long have you been out here for, it’s dangerous. A scrawny kid like you should have died long ago.” The man pondered as his eyes narrowed at the kid.

“Yes-Yesterday, m-my escorts- ambushed- run-run away.” Selig gave a look of trauma and his show of a weak mind was not fit for such a cruel world.

“Escorts?” The man asked with a raised eyebrow.

“What’s taking so long?” Another voice spoke up, and there revealed from the first truck a man that was definitely male lead material.

He isn’t as attractive as the soul following him. But he takes second place. His short brown hair and matching eyes, with ears pierced and a leather jacket that seems utterly ridiculous when it comes to the disgusting hot and humid like temperature. His body was obvious of it’s workout routine since it was clearly raw muscle that came by fighting against the zombies. For such environments he wore a tank top under his leather body and a bullet proof vest in between both.

His light brown eyes turned towards the shy and timid looking young boy.

“He says he was being escorted, sir.” The male lead nodded as he looked at the teen.

“Why were you being escorted.” Johnathan said with a serious face.

“The-The Girovan base- I’m-I’m to lead the doctors- cure, for cure.” He said with a petrified look.

The two turned to each other. Giving a mind reading type negotiation with their eyes and when one nodded and another approved they turned with their emotions completely different from what they were.

“How about you come with us, we’ll protect you and give you the best materials you can get, just ask and we’ll get it.” Johnathan said with a business like tone, if it wasn’t for Selig’s experience, he would have missed the entire greedy smile that Johnathan had revealed.

“Of course, you guys saved my-my life, it’s the only solution I can think of to-to repay you.” Selig gave a timid smile, finally calming down and striking the people who were watching through the mirrors and the two who were conversing with him a jab to the heart of such cuteness.

“Then come along, we were heading back to the base after gathering more material and food.” Johnathan smiled as he ushered the new addition to the team.

The ride towards the base was long but it didn’t have any dangerous situations, mainly due to the plot in the process where the female lead is currently at. If the male lead is gone then both aren’t going to be in any kind of danger, since the danger only appears when both are nearby and need to save the other.

-

Selig awoke to the morning alarm that was given to him about a week ago when arriving to the new base, he was introduced to minor scientists and titles as head of the antidote research crew. He was well liked. More than well liked, his soft spoken words and gentle manner made people think he was just a fraud and a decoration for the boss, but when they had gotten the materials to work with, they had been blown away by such a smart boy that turned out to be a man. His gentle like expressions completely changed when he was behind a telescope and poking and prodding a zombie that the leader had caught for him.

“How’s the research coming along?” Johnathan had shown up after his morning workout, he had just stepped out of the shower and the steam was still coming off of him.

“Good morning boss, we are currently in the beta phase, we are working with the zombie you brought us. It’s really helping Dr. Selig and the others to proceed with testing it on live animals.” A scientist who was leaving to get more coffee said.

“And what’s the outcome?” Jonathan asked as his eyes not once moving away from the cute scientist that just arrived a week ago.

“The only affect it has in the animals are calming, they don’t lash out or try to kill, and look pretty obedient but other than that they are still infected animals.” The scientist said with a huge grin. “But that means we’re getting closer and closer to the cure, Dr. Selig is amazing, to have found such a smart man is pure luck on your end boss.”

The assistant scientist smiled as he gave a farewell to do his business and left the boss by the entrance. A few days had finally turned into a week, and during that time everyone held a special place for the sweet and shy scientist.

He was such a gentle beauty that many would wish to protect him, and that effect didn’t go over the male leads head either. Slowly as the days had passed his own feelings had grown towards the scientist.

Not only did Selig have a plant base power, which everyone had thought was useless. Until one incident happened in front of everyone as they found out about the power.

“You have a plant based powers?” As scientist said giving Selig a look of pity.

“I know, how lucky right?” Selig himself blushed shyly as he felt flattered but the other scientist around him gave his a puzzled look.

“Dr Selig, plant based powers are useless, especially when all plants have already been contaminated.” Another scientist explained.

“Hm?” Selig gave a cute tilt to his head and looked over at a dead plant by the corner, with a wave of his hand the plant grew instantly and produced cute red peppers. “I don’t think so.”

Everyone was filled with shock as they huddled around the plant which the scientist had been working on growing before Selig arrived. They turned towards Selig like any thirst for knowledge scientists would.

Selig himself had shown a few examples on how to level up and disinfect plants and grass along with soil so they can grow even healthier plants as well. Richer and much more vibrant. His second power was discovered when he was given a cup of water and before the eyes of his fellow scientists, when he had levitated the water and disinfect it. Some had asked how he had done it. Since there were few water users who could only use their abilities for defense. He had explained the compounds of water to them and imagined everything else to be taken away. Their main hint was when no one was able to procure even a slight improvement and for the first time had witnessed a worn out and helpless scientist. “It’s so simple just imagine the periodic table and know what H²O is!” He huffed and left the group of water users with frustrated filled hearts and the very next day were able to move and produce water on their own.

“Just remember when producing your own water it comes from everything around, including the air, so if you use too much then everyone around you will be drained of moisture.” Dr Selig left them with an important warning. “And in worst cases the moisture can be drained from your body, leaving behind a most dried up raisin.”

Their powers had taken on an entirely new light. It held science behind it and without the proper education some are unable to ever wield their power properly. Quickly as they found out this fact, Johnathan had taken the time to post chemists and science majors to teach the elemental wielders. While the herbalists and green thumbs of their group who wielded their power weakly took a better understanding with the facts of their scientist.

Johnathan had thanked Selig for his help in boosting their powers ten fold and making their base stronger. His place in their base had grown higher almost on par with the male lead himself. It comes to show that ability is very favored in every single world he goes to.

If it had been the original Selig, he would have still been at the bottom and shut inside his lab until he was able to make the cure.

His now high position and attention and care from all, didn’t sit well with a certain someone.