50. Outsider [END]

AN: Welcome to the final chapter. It's been a long road and I can't thank all of you enough for joining me all the way to the end. Currently, it's morning for me. The epilogue will be posted this evening. 

50

50. Outsider [END]

"I'm sorry, Kunomasu-sensei, I broke my promise."

Nao awoke to Korosensei's dry, deeply seething apology— and he couldn't even be mad. He didn't get impaled— but getting flung across the air at the speed of Mach 40 could kill a normal human being,a nd Nao really wasn't a normal human being in terms of vitality.

He felt his bones get slowly pieced back together, set and conjoined, before the broken skin slowly mended bit by bit— and he felt easy breath come back into him.

Yeah, they promised a long time ago that Korosensei wouldn't try to extend his life, didn't they? Guess that promise's off the table in emergencies.

"That's fine," he said, looking around and sighing at the tearful faces around him. "Looks like I lose the bet, huh?"

Korosensei's face was pitch black.

"So... what's the verdict?" he wondered.

Could Korosensei heal him, after all?

"...you're not recovered," Korosensei said. "I can heal, as much as insane precision and speed may allow me— but unfortunately, even the greatest of fantastical beings cannot bring life back to a body that had been long dead."

Someone held back a whimper of despair.

But Nao simply smiled.

He knew from the start. This body was not a second life— it was simply god's joke, a little hallucination of some extended time. When his heart began rotting while inside of him, he knew it was only a matter of time before it stopped pretending to work.

Now, even if Korosensei healed his heart, the infection had spread into his blood, and will eventually fester once again, if not in his heart, it would be anywhere else his blood reached, akin to cancer.

His body is already giving in like an elderly man's, from the lack of energy to the loss of appetite, slowly shutting down and waiting for the day to slowly, gradually, use up the last of its battery.

"I can give you a last light to sprint to the end, but that's where my abilities end," Korosensei said. Then, surprisingly, "congratulations, Kunomasu-sensei. You've officially baffled me."

Nao burst out into a dry laugh.

He didn't regret anything. A last surge of energy to live another day or two— that was already much more than he expected to have. Hell, he even went through the effort of reassembling his body. That must have been one hell of a jigsaw puzzle.