12. Impression

12. Impression

"You look happy," Irina observed. 

"Trust me, I feel absolutely liberated!" Naomasa stretched, standing over the hill and breathing in the fresh air. "Freedom!" he declared.

"You're not worried about the kids?" she asked, raising an eyebrow, "Karasuma told you about the wager that dumb octopus threw at them, didn't he?"

Irina cast a glance at Karasuma, who nodded.

"It'll be fine," Naomasa responded. "I can kind of guess what will happen, so... just, you don't need to worry about it."

"We do!" Irina groaned, "this puts the earth at stake, y'know?"

Naomasa laughed nervously, "well, worrying will get you nowhere!"

Karasuma coughed for attention, "last I've heard, people usually take a few days of rest at home before they begin their lives again," he mumbled, "and seeing as you've had the luxury of riding a human-cart up the mountain today, I strongly believe you should have stayed home."

"Wow, that's the longest sentence you've spoken to me, Karasuma-san," Nao's smile was still facing to the lush greenery, "and with all due respect, hell no. The cart was made for me, I'm just allowing my student's kind hearts to shine."  Cue a boisterous laugh.

Karasuma looked irritated.

Nao sighed, easing his adrenaline rush. "My muscles are all sore and painful from being forced on a bed all week. I deserve a little breather, don't I?" he chuckled, "the kids are facing hell down there in the building of suffocation, and I'm still on sick leave so I'm free!"

Nao stepped onto the grassy hill, skidding down to the valley and making his way toward the trees, deciding to take a little adventure in the woods while he could. 

He was sluggish and his steps ached, muscles struggling to cope with the lack of exercise, hurting from the weight of his own body. Maybe it was because he was never really a fit person-- a weak in bed gave him muscle sores. His legs were trying to remember how to work now.

"I'm not too clear on how a civilian human views bedrest, but I'm quite sure you're abnormal," Irina grumbled, throwing her voice as Nao wandered deeper into the forest, "do you want to land yourself right back in?"

Nao swung back, mortified. "Ugh, hell no," he was actually shrinking with cringe, "never again. I got blackmailed this time, y'know? I'm not going back there again if my life depends on it."

"Ungrateful spoiled brat," Irina seethed.

Karasuma had a feeling that Naomasa was serious, but the fact wasn't something the young teacher could choose. Nao would go back to the hospital soon, whether he liked it or not.

For Irina, who grew up in a harsh environment where medical needs were never tolerated-- she felt Nao was rather heedless and unappreciative of what he was given.