2. Portent

2. Portent

Don't try catching fireworks in the rain.

Someone's ridiculous hipster shirt once said something like that, pretending to sound cool. It made absolutely no sense. Why fireworks? Can't it be thunder? That made more sense, if you tried going into the water, you'd die. Fireworks don't land in the water, they kinda just dissipate into the atmosphere or something. 

But at the same time, why would you try catching thunder in the goddamn rain, did you mother not teach you to not go swimming in a thunderstorm? Is your brain alright?

I'm quite sure it isn't, which brought us to this chapter's opening.

Naomasa rested his chin on his palm, trying his best to think of some interesting, tricky topic he could get his students to write an essay on. Seeing as they were Junior High students getting ready for high school and better yet college, he needed something difficult, yet holding infinite potential in values. Something vague yet rich.

Seeing as the author of this story is a no-life student with little to no interest in this shit, he's having a hard time trying to come up with things. 

God, why did he take up this job? Why is he in charge of the English pop quiz next week? Who suggested this? Who's the idiot that only told him about it today? Right, Principal Asano.

The lights in the office flickered on, surprising him. His coffee had gone cold, and it was nearly an hour into a new day. He was the only one left in the office, the last of the overtime victims taking off two hours ago.

"I see you are still here, Mr Kunomasu," Asano Gakuho stood by the doorway. 

The tall, brown-haired man was suited up neatly, looking like being in school at this hour of the day was just a normal thing for him.

Nao stood up, "yes, sir-- my apologies, my work unfortunately ran a little later than usual. I will take my leave as soon as I can," he insisted, fumbling over his words. Nao kept his head hung low, bowing in a form of feared respect.

Naomasa did not like talking to that man. As much as he was holding a fairly stable spot in this school, Asano Gakuho had always been an eccentric character-- as someone that never liked talking to someone of authority, Naomasa felt threatened just being in the face of him.

Like he'd eat the younger teacher alive-- like he was standing in front of a hungry lion or something, he didn't like to be there. He wanted little to do with Mr Board Chairman.

"Please do not overwork yourself," Asano's smile was given out of kindness, but it did not feel friendly at all, "I would hate to see a teacher as prominent as you fall sick, after all."

"I am grateful for your concern, sir," Naomasa gave him a smile-- not as much out of happiness than of polite awareness-- Gathering up his belongings with his shaky hands, Nao closed his laptop, gathered his stationary, and shifted his books into his bag.