28. Unwind

28. Unwind

"Please don't ever fucking come back again."

Kazu was heading back to wherever the hell he was going-- and Ms Sakurai had dragged Nao up at the break of dawn to see him off. The woman herself was somewhere else, doing an early delivery.

It's nostalgic. That day so many years ago and today as well, his siblings always leave at the crack of daylight and never seem to come back again.

In the few days Kazu had stayed, he'd gone over to Matsukawa, traded hospital records, and had some descriptive talk about Nao's physical state or something. They may or may not have had an extensive debate about future treatment and life expectancy, but Nao didn't bother listening to a word of it.

He was just glad Kazu was finally gonna leave, because if their predictions are right, this will most probably be the last time they ever meet again. That's the best news he's ever heard.

"Sure, sure," Kazu sighed, looking over his shoulder. "You know, Nao... I'm glad you grew up well."

Nao reached for the gardening scissors.

"Scary one, aren't you?" Kazu said heatlessly, picking up his suitcase. "Wonder who you got that from."

"Just hurry up and leave," Nao groaned, ready to shut the door and forget all this seeing-him-off business. He had a report to submit in the morning and this isn't doing him any favours at all.

For a moment, Kazu seemed intent on talking more, just to annoy his younger brother-- but he relented, nodded, and turned away. But he didn't stay completely silent for long. 

"You have a nephew, you know."

Nao froze. "What?"

Kazu began walking. "Kazane left a kid," he said, in a frustratingly nonchalant manner, "feisty one. He's just like you."

Nao did not like the implications of that. "I'm not a kid anymore, Kazu," he hissed, "stop treating me like one."

He didn't listen. "You'll always be our little brother, even if you hate us," he said-- and the soft look in his eyes just made his blood boil. "I'm watching him now."

Naomasa scoffed at that. So Kazu was taking care of Kazane's kid? That sounds awfully familiar. Must be tough being the twin of an absolute good-for-nothing.

"And where's Madonna herself?" he asked, sarcastic. 

Of course they don't know where she is. She could go burn in the fire like her birth papers, and Nao would skim the news over like he does the weather reports.