6. Bonds

6. Bonds

"Kayano Kaede, was it?"

Naomasa approached the girl as she sat down by a tree, a short break during PE class. Perhaps because the girl knew she was sweaty and probably stank, she inched aside as the teacher came to sit beside her.

"Kuma-sensei," she addressed.

Unlike the rest, Kayano Kaede had only transferred into Kunugigaoka for a short period of time. Even so, she had fallen into Class E under the same notoriety as everyone-- low grades? rebellious behaviour? It would be insensitive to question.

"So," Nao made himself smile, opening a lollipop to enjoy, "are you enjoying school?"

Typical teacher question, but Nao really didn't know a better way to start a conversation. Well, Kayano was a conversation bringer. She'd make something happen.

"Uhn!" her response was spirited, "everyone's a little strange, and Korosensei's the weirdest of them all, but it's not a bad class."

Her smile was gentle, a slight curve. Her hair fell gently at her shoulder, clustering at her neck in its strange, teal shade. Nao thought of her as an adorable girl-- after all, she was small, petite, and had a charming personality.

If he didn't know better, that is.

"Is that so?" Nao felt happy for her.

I want to think that your smiles, at least, were real, Kayano.

"That's right, Ms Sakurai told me she was making pudding today," Nao spoke up, pretending to be talking to himself.

"Pudding?!" Kayano's eyes lit up, alarmed.

Nao chuckled, leaning over a little, subtly closing the distance between them. "You want some? I'll treat you to a few tomorrow, our secret!"

"Really?" Kayano was delighted.

"I smell a secret!" Korosensei materialised before them, eyes glittering diamonds making the two simultaneously shriek in absolute horror.

  ー  

Akabane Karma was a little difficult to approach.

He didn't have a good experience with teachers-- what with the dumb hierarchy of Kunugigaoka and all-- so although he viewed Naomasa as 'the better of the pack', Naomasa was still considered a member of the two-faced badgers in school.

Carrying a stack of books down the hallway during lunch, Naomasa spotted the red-haired boy in the distance, sipping on a pack of strawberry milk.

Their eyes met for a brief moment, in pure coincidence-- and oops, Karma couldn't just ignore him now, could he? Reluctantly, Karma approached the brown-haired teacher and offered his help.