30. Scores

30. Scores

"Sorry, Kanzaki-san," Nao had to apologize anyways. "My hands were tied. Metaphorically, I mean. I really didn't mean to do that."

Finals were over, and despite her best efforts, Kanzaki lost against Asano Gakushuu in the Modern Lit battle.

(Korosensei found out about him tutoring Gakushuu the day after the final paper. Needless to say, Nao was greeted the next morning by a row of Koro-clones protesting about favouritism and spies masquerading as bears, whatever that means.)

(Nao promptly retaliated by monopolizing his classes with a long lecture about the perks of finding and exploiting loopholes in predetermined rules. Exams were over and results were pending-- plus, Karasuma had to admit that this knowledge was useful in assassination.)

Kanzaki shook her head, "no, I don't blame you at all, Kuma-sensei," she bowed. "I am more frustrated at myself, for the few mistakes I made."

"No no, you did amazing!"

"But Asano-kun did better," she said. "I am still in awe, to be honest--" she looked at the chart again, a hand laid on the ranking for Modern Lit results. "--I didn't know it was possible to gain a perfect score in Literature. And yet, here it is."

To be honest, Nao was still speechless too.

Kanzaki and Asano were his proudest students to date, so he was expecting both of them to do pretty damn well-- but Asano just blew expectations right out of the water.

He looked again and surely enough, the glaring 100% sat right above Kanzaki's 96%.

"Seriously, even I never got that high of a grade," Nao sighed, mourning his golden bragging rights for 'highest score ever on Japanese Literature in Kunugigaoka History' in the school records. "And to think I held it for more than a decade, too."

"...huh? Kuma-sensei, you were a Kunugigaoka alumni?"

Nao blinked. "Did I never tell you guys? I was one of the first batch of students, so it probably wasn't as great of an achievement back then," he muttered. "But I held the record for the highest score, ninety-eight. To think the one that would break my record would be my own student-- I don't know if I should cry or laugh here."

Kanzaki was still staring blankly at him.

"What?"

"Kuma-sensei," Kanzaki repeated, like she needed to ask it twice, "you were a Kunugigaoka alumni?"

Nao groaned, "why is that a surprise? I teach here!"

-