003

(chapter iii - her mother is delusional)

THE FIRST THING she feels is ambrosia being forced down her throat.

Yeah, not the best way to wake up.

She coughed and spluttered, her eyes widening as she let out a gasp.

"At ease, daughter," a calming voice whispered, as a cold hand pressed against her forehead. Selene's eyes widened once her vision became clear again.

She was in a warm, fuzzy tent, pillows thrown about. Artemis was at her side, along with her lieutenant, which she believed went by...Zoë?

"Mom?" She questioned, quickly steadying herself. "What...what happened?"

Zoë sighed. "Dr. Thorn threw thee against a tree."

"Well, duh," Selene answered. "I mean..what happened after I passed out?"

"Chaos," Zoë simply grumbled.

"Oh, wonderful."

Artemis gave Zoë a warning glance. "My daughter," She whispered. "Why would you enter the line of fire like that? I've raised you well, if I say so myself, and you weren't raised to do...that."

Selene bit her tongue, forcing an insult down her throat. "I wanted to fight with Annabeth," She admitted sheepishly, the thoughts of her best-friend running horrid thoughts throughout her head.

"I could've saved her.

I should've been quicker.

It should've been me.'

"Do not despair for Annabeth," Artemis assured, as if she was reading her mind. "She was a brave maiden. If she can be found, I will find her."

"Brave, but dumb," Zoë muttered.

Selene glared at her. What was her problem?

Artemis sighed, patting the sleeping doe on her lap. At first, Selene didn't think it was real, but the soft breathing of the animal proved her wrong.

Then, the goddess turned towards Zoë. "Go, and bring me Perseus Jackson. Bianca, as well. I wish to speak with them."

Zoë's eyes widened, as if she didn't expect those words, but she bowed her head and trudged back into the snow anyway.

"Daughter," Artemis said. "I'm here to warn you."

"Warn me?" Selene scoffed — softly petting the deer next to Artemis. "About what?"

Artemis glanced around the tent, as if she was waiting for someone to pop out and scare her. "About Perseus Jackson. I can tell what may happen. I want you to be happy, but I —"

"What are you talking about?" Selene interrupted, her brows furrowing in worry. Normally, her mom was a strong, stern goddess, who spoke boldly and full of passion. Now, it was of those walls were crumbling — the goddess talking so fast, even Selene couldn't understand them.

"You are my daughter," Artemis started, obviously.

"Well, no, I'm actually —"

"Selene," Artemis warned, quickly interrupting her sarcasm. "You are my daughter, and I want what's best. This boy, Percy Jackson, may not be the best...for you."

Heat rose to Selene's cheeks. "What?" She questioned. "Percy and I....we aren't —"

"You may be," Artemis cut in. "Soon."