021

(chapter xxi - she hates this shit already)

SELENE WOKE UP feeling excited yet very exhausted. She didn't know how long her and Percy had stayed up, but it must've been late, because before she knew it, the rising sun was peaking through her blinds.

Selene was a light sleeper. The tiniest bit of light woke her up, and no matter how much she wanted to sleep, her body would argue. So, she found herself normally getting up around this time, anyway.

It was around six in the morning. Fog settled over camp, making it look like a ghost town. Soon, she had a feeling most campers would be waking up — going to breakfast, then starting their normal lessons — archery, pegasus riding, history with the Athena cabin. And while that was all happening, Selene and her friends would be plunging into the underground, on a very dangerous quest that could lead them all to a very gruesome death.

But we gotta stay positive, right?

Selene tied her hair into a rather stylish French braid — which, made confidence flow through her body.

'Percy was right. I'm fucking hot, dude.'

She checked her backpack one more time — and the items that were in it were the only things she really needed — thermos with nectar, a bag full of ambrosia, a bedroll, rope, clothes, flashlights, deodorant, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and loads of granola bars.

Lunar was tight on her wrist. Her bow, which she still hadn't named, was in necklace form, shimmering in the morning sun.

She walked out of her cabin. Wet grass squished under her feet as she traveled towards Zeus' fist. Once she got there, most of them were already present — except for Annabeth.

Selene walked down to them. "G'morning," She greeted, yawning.

There was a chorus of 'good morning's back. Juniper and Grover stood a little way from the rest of the group — and Juniper looked like she'd been crying again. She kept fussing with Grover's shirt, and his curly hair, as if she was a mom preparing her son for picture day.

All of the sudden, Thema appeared. She was still in her minions pajamas, but that didn't seem to embarrass her at all. Instead, she walked up to Selene, her gaze uncertain and concerning.

"I...I heard about Mal."

Selene's heart broke. She tried not to look too nervous. "You — you did, huh?"

She could tell Percy tuned into their conversation as soon as Mal was mentioned. Although he tried to hide it, Selene felt his eyes on her.

"Don't let his disappearance get you down, Sel," Thema whispered. "No matter where he is. Just — just focus on your quest, okay? And I'll focus on Mal."

Selene raised a brow.

Thema shifted on her feet uncomfortably. "Yeah I — uhm. I'm talking with Chiron. We're thinking of leading a search party for him soon. So...just know that...one of your many problems is in good hands."

Selene smiled. That smile soon turned into a teasing smirk. "You? Good hands? Gods, this world is getting desperate."

Thema sent her an offended loom, elbowing her sharply. "Oh, fuck you."

She laughed — and once she did, she felt like a sudden weight was lifted off of her shoulders. Thema always seemed to have that affect on her — if she was feeling completely horrible, within five minutes of being with her, she'd feel so much better. It was just one of the many things about her best-friend that she loved.