034

(chapter xxxiv — dueling with an ant — literally)

AS RACHEL HAD said, there was, luckily, an entrance to the labyrinth in the hotel basement.

This thought only made Selene feel worse.

She still felt sick — whether it was from knowing she was about to enter the labyrinth again, or the fact that waves of jealousy was still coursing throughout her body.

Percy kept sending her looks. Selene glared back at him — almost every single time — but she could tell he was still looking. It made her feel stupid.

'I don't need him to watch over me like I'm some baby,' Selene thought bitterly. 'So why is he?'

Her eyes shifted to Rachel as she struggled to get the door open. The redhead grunted, "I tried to — get this door open once, just out of curiosity. But — it's...—rusted shut."

Selene and Annabeth traded a look, as if to say, should we tell her?, but Percy just sighed, his hand reaching out to touch the triangle symbol placed on the door.

"It just needs the touch of a half-blood," He said. Sure enough, as soon as he touched it, the Delta symbol glowed bright blue. The door then opened by itself — showing a dark, spiral-like staircase going down.

Rachel gulped, "Oh — wow."

"Turn back while you still can," Selene agreed — glaring at the staircase as if it lead to Tartarus itself.

No one moved for a split second. Selene thought if Rachel was actually going to turn back at her words for a moment, but then the girl just simply sighed and started down the staircase.

Annabeth put one of her hands on her hips as Rachel descended. "Should we just close the door, see how far she gets?"

Selene shook her head, "Annie, even I think that's a little mean."

"Hey — all ideas have the right to be heard," The daughter of Athena huffed, before walking down the staircase as well.

Selene turned to Percy, who, was still staring at her, "Do you always do that?"

"Uh — what?"

"Stare at people until they aren't mad at you anymore."

" — is it working —?"

Selene rolled her eyes and slightly pushed him into the labyrinth. He stumbled, and gave her the finger as he caught his footing. She simply crossed her arms in reply, signaling for him to move.

He didn't move a fucking inch.

Selene's glare harshened. "Go on, go."

"I'd feel better if I were in the back."

"I can handle myself," She said through gritted teeth.

"I never said you couldn't."

Selene scowled. She really didn't want to deal with Sassy — (Percy's Version) right now, so she let her hands fall to her side in defeat as she hopped down the staircase.