023

(chapter xxiii - in the end, promises are just words [which selene thinks is utter bullshit])

"YOU KNOW, I always had I feeling I'd end up in jail," Percy commented, after a moment of silence. "Just — not like this."

Selene laughed, pushing off the wall she was leaning on, and strolling up to him with a grin. "Is that so? You've got some crimes you'd like to share with us, Jackson?"

Percy grinned. "I normally don't keep track of them, but I do have one I know I committed recently."

"Oh really?" Selene questioned — leaning towards him with a smirk. "And what crime was that?"

Percy leaned more towards her. Her eyes started to close, but instead of the euphoric feeling of his lips on hers, she heard a whisper of his voice — his hot breath stinging her ear.

"Stealing your heart, Star Girl."

Selene's eyes widened, her face bright red. She quickly put her hands on his chest and pushed him back — glaring at the raven-haired boy.

Percy laughed. He ran his hand through his messy hair, raising a brow at her flustered state. "Aw...someone's getting a bit flustered. Did I steal your heart, Selly?"

Selene scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Oh please. As if you could even attempt to steal a heart like mine."

"What are you insinuating?"

"What are you insinuating? That you're a ladies man?" Selene questioned with a huff. "Let's be real."

Percy gave her a glare — biting his lip to hide his smile as he jutted his chin out dramatically — exaggerating his childish expression, making her grin.

Annabeth sighed, tugging on the bars, which, made no move to budge. "What in fuck is this?"

"Looks like a jail, Annie."

"No shit, Selene."

"Hey, you asked!"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. Selene chuckled, and walked up next to her — looking through the bars with wide eyes. There were rows of cells across the way — three stories on top of them filled with metal catwalks and double doors.

"Well, it's a...very interesting, prison," Percy said, after scanning the place. "Maybe, Ty, you can break —"

"Shhh!" Grover interrupted suddenly, holding a finger to his mouth. "Listen."

Selene rolled her eyes, but perked her ears. A strange sort of sobbing noise echoed throughout the hollow walls — making it sound almost ghostly.

There was another noise, too — a raspy one. The voice was muttering a language she couldn't quite make out, but it was one that made her skin tingle.

There was clattering from above them.

"Okay, I'm done with this place." Selene whispered.

"I think we all are." Percy agreed, turning towards Tyson. "Hey, bud. Would you..."

Percy stopped mid-sentence. Selene would, too, because Tyson did not look how he normally did. His pupil was dilated — jet black shadowing over the normal hazel color. His big hands were shaking, and his lip was trembling, as if he was about to cry.

Selene and Annabeth exchanged panicked looks.

Percy placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Hey, what's up? You seem...scared. I promise, we'll protect you. There's nothing to —"