037

(chapter xxxvii — the truth)

SELENE HEARD THE voices before she figured out who they belonged to.

She and Percy had been going down the dark path for who knows how long — Annabeth, Nico and Rachel far behind them. Her heart never stopped racing — whether that was because Percy was holding her hand, or it was the fact that they were willingly walking into Kronos' domain.

Either fit.

Percy squeezed her hand a bit tighter as soon as they heard faint growling and grumbling. Selene didn't recognize the voices at first. They were low, and barely coherent.

"At least we salvaged the blade," She managed to pick up from the first voice. "The master will definitely reward us, now."

"Yes, yes!" A second voice shrieked. "Rewards — beyond measure!"

Another voice butted in — this one, luckily, easier to understand. "Yeah well that's just great. Now that you're done with me, can I leave —?"

"No, Half-Blood!" The first voice scolded. "You must help us make the presentation — alongside the son of Hermes. It is a great honor!"

Percy nudged Selene, and she turned to him — arching a brow. He mouthed the word "telekhines" to her, and her eyes widened in recognition. The Sea Demons.

The last voice — the one easier to understand than the other two — she figured out it belonged to Ethan Nakamura, the boy she had fought back at Ant's arena. Selene realized she had to get closer.

She was about to put on Annabeth's invisibility cap, but she felt Percy inch his hand up to her wrist — causing her to stop her movements. She sent him a questioning look.

"Stay safe," Percy told her. "I'll be right behind you. Try and signal to me when it's clear."

Selene nodded — determined. "You and me, Barnacle Boy." Before he could reply, she put on the cap and stalked off.

Although she knew she was invisible— she couldn't stop panicking. Seeing the Telekhines right up close again brought up some bad memories. Selene had to remind herself that a volcano had no chance of erupting this time.

A blast of cold hair hit her as she emerged from the tunnel. She quickly realized that she was near the top of Mount Tam. Wind was swirling around in all directions, and the Pacific Ocean was spread below — waves crashing harshly against the rocks.

Selene spotted the Telekhines about twenty feet downhill. They seemed to be placing something on a giant rock — something long and thin, wrapped in a black cloth. Ethan was helping them carrying it — it didn't take a mind reader to realize he was severely uncomfortable.

"Careful," One of the telekhines warned him. "One touch, and the blade will sever your soul from your body. Very painfully."

"Great," Ethan retorted. "Where do I sign up?"

The telekhines just started to unwrap the cloth — not picking up on his sarcastic comment. Their flippers...paws...flipper-paws? moved slowly and carefully — treating whatever was wrapped in that cloth like the most valuable, yet dangerous thing in the world.