013

(chapter xiii - selene does something stupidly heroic)

THALIA CHARGED STRAIGHT at Luke. The power of Aegis was so great, that his dragon-woman bodyguards fled at the sight of it, dropping the gold coffin and leaving him alone.

But despite his sickly appearance, Luke was still as swift as before. He snarled like a wild badger and counterattacked. When his sword, Backbiter, met Thalia's shield, a ball of lighting erupted between them, frying the air with yellow tendrils of power.

As for Selene, she probably did the most stupidest thing she could do —

She followed Percy Jackson.

Who, looked like he was going to attack Atlas.

Fun.

Atlas laughed as they approached. A huge javelin appeared in his hands. His silk suit melted into old-fashioned Greek armor. "Go on then, little heroes!"

"Percy, Selene," Zoë said. "Beware!"

She knew what the Hunter meant. Chiron had explained long ago — immortals are constrained by ancient laws. However a hero can go anywhere, challenge anyone, as long as they have the nerve.

And Percy Jackson?

'Yeah, he's got the nerve all right.'

Selene ducked under Atlas's javelin, rolling under his legs and hopping up again.

Atlas was quicker than anticipated. Even when fighting both of them, he seemed to be winning. He knocked Percy aside with the shaft of his javelin, and the boy flew through the air and slammed into a black wall.

That's when she realized it wasn't Mist anymore. The palace was rising. Brick by brick, it started to become real.

Selene quickly snapped back to reality when Atlas turned to face her. The Titan grinned. He swung his javelin, and Selene blocked it with her dagger. She kept repeating the same technique, not being able to get a single hit on him. Her best hope was to tire him out.

Atlas must've picked up on her idea quickly. He knocked Lunar out of her hand, and soon, she was thrown against the marble walls right next to Percy.

"Fools!" Atlas screamed gleefully, swinging his javelin, and swatting away one of Zoë's arrows. "Do you think, Perseus Jackson, just because you won against that petty war god, you could challenge me?"

"You fought Ares?" Selene whispered.

"Not important."

"And won?"

Percy managed to send her a smug smirk. "Also not important."

Percy hopped up. He glanced towards the pool of water, and Selene knew what he was trying to do.

Selene got up. "I'll fight him," She said. "Clear the way for you. Won't water like — double your strength?"

Percy nodded. "Yeah, but I can't leave you to fight Atlas. You'll get hurt!"

"Percy, there's no time."

"But —"

"Go," She insisted. "I — I have an idea. You trust me...right?"

Percy let out a huff of breath, as if he couldn't believe she said that. "Of course I trust you, idiot. Just — don't...die. Okay?"

Selene laughed, squeezing his arm. "No promises, Percy."

Before he could respond, she ran off, straight towards Atlas. Percy reluctantly ran in the other direction.

Selene ducked and slashed, sparks flying across Atlas's armor. "I am warning you, girl," The Titan growled. "I am not holding back. You shall die now!"