029

(chapter XXIX - "want to be the sam to my colby?")

"WE SHOULD KILL him," Annabeth spat. "He was no better than Geryon. He tied us up. And treated us like we were shit from his dog."

"Killing him is a bit much, Annie," Percy pointed out. "Though maybe we should tie him up..."

Selene shook her head slightly. After the fight, they all fanned out in a semicircle around Eurytion and Orthus. None of them were too particularly happy with the cowherd, but she thought discussing what they should do about him in front of him was a bit...bitchy.

Grover huffed, crossing his arms. "That dog of yours almost killed me. Me, out of all people! I mean hey, I understand like — Annabeth or something — but me!?"

Annabeth scowled. "I'd watch your tongue before I cut it off —"

"Geryon," Percy interrupted — clearly anxious to change the subject. "How long will it take for him to reform?"

Eurytion leaned forward. He had yet another cigar in his mouth, and he let out a sigh, letting the smoke release into the air. "Hundred years or so? He's not one of those fast re-formers, thank the gods. You've done me a favor, Perseus Jackson."

Annabeth gripped the hilt of her dagger. "So we're all set on killing him, then?"

"Annabeth..." Percy started with a sigh. "I know how much you hold grudges, but —"

"He saved my life." Selene cut in. She had remained silent for a while — hearing the group bicker back and forth on what they should do and what the cowherd's fate would be. And she was going to be honest — it was getting quite annoying.

She met Eurytion's eyes. He seemed surprised, as if he didn't expect to be defended by her, but his surprise soon disappeared under his straw hat.

"What?" Percy asked. "What are you talking about, Sel?"

"He saved my life. He saw me fiddle with Lunar in bracelet form, and stayed quiet. He gave me a chance to escape — to get out of there," She explained grimly. "If he wouldn't, Geryon would've hurt me way more than a silly scar."

Her words seemed to have an effect. Eurytion sent her a small, grateful glance, and Selene sent a small smile back.

Annabeth sighed, setting her mouth into a firm line. "Fine. Back to Geryon. You've said you've died for him before — why?"

"Why?" Questioned Eurytion.

"Why would you die for him?"

Eurytion sighed. "I've worked for that creep for thousands of years. Started out as a regular half-blood, but when my father, Ares, offered immortality to me, I took it. Worst mistake, of my life. Now I'm stuck here — at this ranch. I can't leave, I can't quit. I just tend to the animals and fight Geryon's countless fights. We're kinda tied together, you see."

"Maybe you can change things," Percy offered.

Eurytion grunted, "How?"

"Be nice to the animals," Selene suggested. "They don't seem too happy. Take care of the ranch, keep it clean. Stop selling them for food. And stop trading with the Titans."