014

(chapter xiv - mistletoes and kisses)

THEY CIRCLED OVER midtown Manhattan, making one complete orbit around Mount Olympus. This was her first time seeing the place of the gods, and boy, was it beautiful.

In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountain side palaces glow twenty different colors, from blood red, to indigo, to violet...yeah, you get her point.

It seemed sleep didn't exist here on Olympus. The twisting, infinite streets were bustling with demigods, nature spirits, and minor godlings walking about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes.

Winter didn't seem to exist either — she caught the scent of the gardens in full bloom, jasmines and roses and even sweeter things Selene couldn't even name. Music drifted up from so many windows — the soft sound of lyres and reed pipes making her feel more grounded and calm.

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest place of all — the glowing white hall of the gods.

Immediately, that sense of peace got stripped away from her. It finally seemed to kick in — she was here, in Olympus.

And she was about to meet the gods.

She was about to be considered a hero — like Hercules, like Achilles. She was finally going to retrieve her silly childhood dream.

She was finally deemed good enough.

The pegasi set them down in the outer courtyard, in front of huge silver gates. Before she could even knock (which — she really wanted to Ding Dong Ditch the gods, so that was a bummer), the gates slowly creaked open by themselves, like how those cheesy, haunted mansions did in movies.

Fresco backed up uneasily.

"Easy, boy," She said.

'I am not a boy, I am a man.' Snorted back Fresco in reply.

"Well it'd be weird to call a horse a man —"

'Then why isn't it strange to call a horse a boy?'

Selene glared at him. "Well," She said, sighing. "I guess this is goodbye?"

'For now,' Replied Fresco. 'But if you need me, I shall be at your aid instantly. All you have to do is whistle.'

"Whistle?" Selene questioned, furrowing her brows.

'Did I stutter?'

She rolled her eyes, stroking the Pegasus's neck. "Goodbye, Fresco."

Fresco bowed gracefully. 'Until we meet again, Selene Lock.'

With that, he took off with Guido and Blackjack, the pegasi zooming across the sky until they were no more.

Thalia, Percy, Annabeth and Selene stood there for a moment, regarding the palace, just like they had done at Westover Hall, which seemed like a million years ago.

Then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

Selene could sense the shift of power immediately. Danger dotted the air. All the peacefulness and confidence drained from her as she walked towards the throne room, her shoes clattering loudly against the marble.

Twelve enormous thrones made a U shape around the central hearth, just like the placement of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations — even the newest one, Zoë the Huntress, making her way slowly across the heavens with her bow drawn.