008

(chapter viii - they almost get chopped into pork chops...by a pork-chop)

AN HOUR LATER, the train was rumbling west. There was no problem on who would drive, now, because they all got their very own luxury car.

Bianca and Zoë were crashed out in a Lexus on the top deck. Grover was playing race-car driver behind the wheel of a Lamborghini. And Thalia had hot-wired the radio in a black Mercedes SLK, so she could pick up all the alt-rock stations from D.C.

Selene had decided to chill in a white SUV. She was in the driver's seat, her seat reclined all the way back, so she could see through the back window. Percy had gave her his coat from the lion, so she used that as a blanket, snuggling into it.

The distant rock music and the snoring of Grover from not that far away made her eyes grow heavy. Before she could fall asleep, though, a knock on the window jolted her back into the present.

She looked up.

There was Percy Jackson, in all of his glory. He looked down on her from the back window, an amused smile on his face as he watched her.

Selene raised a questioning brow.

"Can I join you?" She managed to decipher — reading Percy's words easily.

She nodded, waving her hand dismissively. Percy walked around the car and entered through the passenger door — reclining his seat until he was face to face with her.

"Hey there," He whispered — a mischievous grin on his lips.

"Hi," She whispered back, turning towards him.

His sea-green eyes seemed to study her for a moment — his eyes narrowing slightly. "You feeling better?" He asked, still watching her closely.

Selene suddenly felt self-conscious. "Yeah — yeah I do," She then glanced at the jacket, grabbing it and holding it out to him. "You can take it back."

"Nah," Percy told her, brushing it away. "You need it more than I do."

"But you'll be cold," She protested.

"I'll live."

"I don't think you will."

Percy rolled his eyes. "You're stubborn," He laughed, his gaze shifting to the car ceiling.

Selene sighed, chuckling slightly. "So I've been told," She breathed, staring out the window and watching the falling snow.

It stayed like that for a moment — comfortable silence stretching out between the two demigods.

Until Percy broke it. "Hey, uh," He started nervously, turning to face her again.

Selene looked at him with a brow raised.

"I...I just wanted to say. You were really brave, during the battle with Killer Kitty today."

Selene snorted at the nickname. "Thanks, Percy. But you literally came up with a plan to kill the thing. I shouldn't be taking any credit."

Percy frowned. "What?" He asked. "You shouldn't be taking any credit? Is that really what you think?"

Selene stayed silent. She arose from her laying position, and, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Percy do the same.

She turned to look at him. Her eyes were distant. "Percy, this is the first time I've gotten a chance like this. To go on a quest, to be a hero, like you. I believe I'm failing at it."

"Selene, gods, you're a modest idiot. You think I didn't see you today? You saved a little kid from a falling spacecraft. You risked your life in order to keep someone, who you don't even know, safe. If that's not heroic, I don't know what is."