I

a/n: minor AOU spoilers ahead! all characters aside from Eden belong to marvel!

My eyes fluttered open softly, to the eerie noise of a leaky pipe. I heard constant whispers in my ears and some were full words that I could understand. I heard the crackling sound of a collapsed building and I gasped, my muscles tensing. I sat up in the cot that I was previously lying in, taking in the scents and the sights around me.

 I remember being told that I was the last of the lucky ones, making it through the transition. I was the only one who made it through the unimaginable pain; pain that seared so hot that it leaves a brand on your soul. 

After the pain had passed after what had seemed like a thousand years, came a sudden urge- no, a release. A built up white hot energy chasm that desperately cried to be unleashed.

I had been told that I was apart of a crusade for the benefit of mankind. I was made in the image of the heavens, I was their weapon of war. But all I could feel was hatred for the creatures who dared to belittle me so. Men of peace court war, but men of war unwittingly create the weapon that brings about the apocalypse of their tirade. Thus, I was born.

Crunching noises followed the collapse of the building and I came to my feet swiftly, my heart starting to race.I made no noise as I began to track the sounds out of the room that I was held in. I heard distant booms of guns and clangs of metal that buzzed in my ears causing me to scrunch up my face and shut my eyes tightly - it was overwhelming- all of it. When I opened my eyes after collecting my breath, I discovered that I was face to face to a man with blonde hair and strikingly blue eyes. 

"Oh." I breathed, as the breathtakingly handsome man assessed me with his expressive eyes. He was the first man I'd ever seen, at least, I think so. It was odd- I had fragments of memories that lingered in my mind but I cannot sus them out clearly. It felt like he was indeed the first man I'd ever laid my eyes on.

"Who are you?" The man asked sharply, his blue eyes assessing my form quickly and analytically, his voice hinting at slight panic. I understand from his tone that this man wasn't expecting me. 

His strong voice reverberated in my head and my heart thumped wildly in my chest as I attempted to comprehend his words. They caused a cascade of confusion inside of me and I panicked as I had come to the realization that I in fact didn't have an answer for him. Who was I? Why can't I remember my name? Do I even have a name? I thought in short staccatos, remembering the little I could and playing it forward in my head. I remember being experimented on, I remember surviving an explosive infusion of some sort of serum. I remember the figures in white coats prodding me with electricity and needles But that was it.

"You have wings..." The man said, snapping me out of my short lived reverie and I gasped.

"What?" I said softly, my heart wrenching in my chest. That's not normal to have wings, is it?

I tilted my head to the side and I saw a pair of large grey wings stretched out, expanding at least six feet from each side of my shoulder blades. My mouth dropped open at their size, they shimmered in the afternoon gloom, singing almost silently, harmoniously. Their melody humming in the background softly, I hadn't even noticed them or heard them before. They acted on their own accord and shifted from a heather grey to a subtle ash grey.

I glanced up at the man and my expression undoubtedly revealed my utter confusion and self doubt as I opened my mouth to speak a full sentence for the first time. My throat felt sore and scratchy as I spoke, hinting to me that this was the first time I'd spoken in a considerable amount of time.

"I don't know my name, and I don't know why I have these wings."

The man's shocking blue eyes softened slightly in what I had detected as sympathy and the whispers in my head that were once hardly even noticeable, became louder and louder to the point of unbearable.