XVIII

Eden

We ate a nice and warm little meal, graciously given to us by Heidi. Her children were rather adorable, asking Pietro and Wanda several questions and giggling once they got their responses.

They didn't come near me much, I assume that Pietro and Wanda looked more approachable than I did.

I sat in my dingy battle outfit I had been wearing for the past few days, watching the sun illuminate the frosty forest that seemed to be buzzing with the energy of a new day.

Pietro didn't hear you.

I smiled at the refreshing sound of Gabriel's voice.

Hadn't heard from you in a while Gabe. I was starting to think you forgot about me.

I could never! I was only on- heaven business. Things aren't going so well over here. Things that have been happening may affect the dimensions you live in.

What do you mean? Is there something wrong with Lucifer?

As your brother and as an Archangel its my duty and personal opinion that I must inform you of the circumstances of our home.

You mean by home, as in Heaven? Is Michael in trouble?

Michael fine. Heaven is barricaded by Raphael's powerful militia. Some of the seals that keep Lucifer locks away- have been broken. As far as we know, someone or something is trying to free him and that may or may not lead to Armageddon.

Our whole entire home is being occupied by Raphael and by his army? But that doesn't make sense-

"Eden, my love, Heidi would appreciate it if you'd feed Lucifer while she washes some clothes." Pietro broke my conversation with Gabriel, and I looked directly at him with a curious expression lingering in his eyes.

"Yes. It's the least I can do for her hospitality."

~~

"I could wash your cloth." Heidi asked, as she held a basin with dirty clothing and her hair was held back with a rust colored cloth.

I smiled at her and I looked down at my pink dress that no longer looked pink at all. I nodded and she smiled.

"Follow." She said, as she lead me into a room adjacent to the living room, and handed me a pile of clothing.

"Should fit." She said kindly, and I took the clothing graciously. She almost was an angel in her own sense.

~~

I quickly changed into the clothing Heidi had given me, which was ironically a pink wool sweater, a grey thermal and a pair of jeans. I slipped on the boots I had worn before, when I had first met Pietro.

I stepped out of the washroom and Pietro was leaning against the wall in new clothing of his own, and he looked up with a cheeky smile.

"Darling, you look rather lovely." He walked up to me and placed his hands on my hips, precariously low might I add.

He brought me close enough to him that I could smell him, freshly showered, smelling of fresh linen and pine needles.

"After you feed Lucifer, would you accompany me on a walk?"

As if I could deny him. He himself was so enchanting.

"I would love to." I answered softly, and he chuckled, leaning to place a kiss on my neck. I responded to his ministrations, my body making a rather strange move, arching up against his firm body.

He rapidly placed feathery kisses up along my neck, and up my my jaw, his stubble lightly tickling me as he did. Once his lips reached mine, I didn't waste any time by connecting them.

His lips moved fast and furiously, like time is running out. The pleasure of kissing him was short lived, as a agonizing spasm in my back erupted, causing me to slam into the wall, leaving Pietro confused and afraid.

"Eden!"

My wings tore through my back and my sweater, and I screamed.

Michael! Gabriel! What's happening?!

Michael- she's growing her barbs!

Eden, I'm not going to explain what's going on all right now but you're growing the barbs of your wings that protects you and is essential to your powers.

Michael quickly explained and I felt these razor sharp blades cut through my wings and I screamed, but only a white noise came out.

"Eden!" I heard Pietro's voice, drawing me back to earth and I saw him frantically trying to stabilize me while Wanda enchanted Heidi, Richard and her family.

Sharp ash grey thorns jutted out of the tips of my wings and I cried out in pain, feeling this liquid ooze of the thorns.

Listen to me very carefully, Eden. Along with this process of growing your barbs, your four other wings will also grow. This will be the most painful feeling you'll ever have to experience in your eternal life. But after that, you'll be fine. And you'll be a full fledged Archangel. Gabriel said worriedly, and I gripped Pietro's hands that were extended out in front of me.

"Move!" I screamed, as I threw him out of the way and I felt the most scrutinizing and red hot pain I have every felt. Two wings jutted out from each side of my back, and I fell to the ground, arching my back, no noise coming out my throat as I processed the agony.

A white noise consumed my body, enveloping me in a personal bubble, and I straightened my back and stood up. The pain vaporized, and was replaced with overall clarity and universal power. I saw this pink aura mingle around me, then my body absorbed the aura, and the white noise ceased.

I looked around me and saw Heidi and Richard with their kids, acting normal, as if I hadn't completely gone berserk moments before.

Wanda stared at me with a suspicious glare, her violent red eyes flaring. Pietro stumbled to his feet beside her, and gaped at me.

"You- grew wings?" He asked shakily and I shook my head.

"No, I became an Archangel."

Pietro ran a hand through his hair, and looked me nervously with his electric eyes.

"I think we should take that walk now."

~~