XVI

Third Person

"Oh my father! Are you seeing this?" Gabriel said in fake outrage. Although he was opposed to the situation between Eden and the twins, he was mildly happy for the one small victory.

Michael rolled his eyes, unlike his brother, he had no empathy. Pietro was a threat. A dangerous one. A threat that blocked him from the one thing in the universe he loved the most.

Pietro was a formidable bug. One that needed to be squashed.

"Of course I am, brother." Michael replied tacitly, veering his gaze off into the distance.

~~

Steve sat in his room, solitary unlike the large gathering of the other Avengers in the living room playing go fish. His mind was too preoccupied to be concerned in the least about winning a silly card game.

He was worried about Eden.

Steve had been pacing around the room for what had seemed like years, his mind reprocessing each lead to Eden. But all of the paths lead to no clues. No evidence. But he'd knew that there was only one substantial link to find Eden.

Through her Archangel brothers.

Steve settled into a spot on the edge of Clint's guest bed, and clasped his hands and lowered his head.

God I haven't done this in a while. He thought regrettably, remembering the last time he'd official prayed was when Bucky took him to a Christmas mass.

Steve redirected his thoughts to his main focus, and he began to pray to the legendary Archangel Michael.

Archangel Michael, I pray to you in hopes that your sister, Eden is safe. I know I haven't prayed in some time, but I hope my purpose is pure enough for it to be heard.

Steve opened his eyes, but no one had appeared in front of him. He'd expected a grand entrance for the Archangel, but no such thing had occurred. Instead, he'd felt a presence in his mind. It was probing. It was invasive. But all the while, holy. Michael may have lost his chivalry
through the eons he's lived through, he'd always maintain the natural holiness since the day he was born.

Steven Grant Rogers. Michael dared to speak in the soldier's mind, and Steve's muscles locked.

Who are you, and what are you doing inside of my head. Steve thought rather aggressively, and Michael shook his head with a smirk.

You prayed to me, remember? To report the status of Eden's health?

Steve raised his brows. The actual Michael, heard my prayer?

It's not like the old days, kid.

Steve's lips twitched upward, feeling young again. He'd just been called kid by one of God's oldest creatures known.

How is she, Eden? Is she safe?

Michael was taken aback by Steve's genuine concern, but he had kept his usual smug composure.

She's fine. She's safe with the Maximoff twins in an undisclosed area.

Could you possibly disclose her location?

Michael chuckled at the audacity of the Captain. He was brave, sure. Willing to put himself on the line even when the situation is broken beyond repair. But Michael envied him. Envied Steve's total, and hardwired instinct of protectiveness and chivalry. Michael couldn't be like Steve, not anymore. But Michael can befriend him. Use him as a chess piece, to protect Eden when he himself couldn't.