III

Eden

A few days have passed since I first arrived at the Avengers Tower. Days full of intrigue, discovery, and curiosities. The voices did not return in that time, yet I wondered who they were and if they were more than just the disembodied spirits that existed in my mind.

Steve took it upon himself to get me familiar with the tower and the different levels, all the while Tony kept a sharp eye on me.  No one had a sharper eye on me than Steve, he was essentially my chaperone. Indulging my requests to see the various floors and amenities the tower held, which were plentiful. 

 A fight simulation room to accommodate every member on the team in a virtual environment in which they could train in the most realistic manner that they could. An endless pool with settings that allowed the user to laze about or be sucked up into a whirlpool. An entire floor dedicated to cinema and television. 

That room was to be frequented by Steve and I quite a lot during the days, so far we both had watched this film called Star Wars, and were reprimanded by Tony for starting on Episode 1, when we really should have watched Episode 4 through 6 first. 

Neither Steve and I seemed to understand the fervor at which Tony expressed his dissatisfaction with us but we acquiesced to Tony's forceful suggestion, and ended up agreeing with his passionate sentiment. Bruce had to eventually pull Tony away from Steve and I's showings of the Star Wars saga, they had much to do still with this scepter they'd pulled from the same Hydra facility the team had found me at. 

During the past few days, Natasha had been gracious enough to help me pick out a wardrobe on the internet as she called it, not that I remember such a concept. I find it difficult to believe that the experiments performed on me really had wiped such a substantial amount of memory from my brain. I didn't know if I had a family, friends, a child, a lover. 

Every day that passed that Tony could not find a single modicum of information on me, the more I grew restless within the confines of my own skin. I was a voyager on this ship of life with no name, no ticket, no destination, no origin.

Steve reassured me that Tony and the Avenger's reach of knowledge knew no bounds- however I seemed to be the challenge that was disproving that longstanding belief. However, whenever my blond haired friend said that to me, I felt oddly at ease. As if there were simply nothing to worry about anymore, and it was time to rest and move on.

I tried to believe him.

When Steve and I weren't watching films, I passed my time reading as many pieces of literature and media that I could get my hands on- and I was impressed that the Avengers tower was equipped with all the reading material anyone could ask for. From ancient texts to car user manuals, I was delighted by the variety and the range. I selected the more important and telling pieces, to catch me up a bit. Steve joined in with me on my literary expedition, seeing as he said that he had some catching up to do as well. 

We were both a bit out of the loop. I was hoping my studying would jog my memory, and so far, it hasn't.

"That is truly extraordinary Steve. Look at this, rovers on Mars!" I warbled excitedly to Steve, flipping through the annals of a NASA reference book. Steve returned my excitement with a brilliant smile, his eyes roaming over the page I was just reading to see for himself.

"Wow, my god, I can't believe it. Tony told me about the whole moon landing event but I never could've imagined rovers on Mars, and so soon!"

We were sprawled on the floor with books, papers, and other miscellaneous objects including coffee mugs and banana peels surrounding us as we continued our deep dive into various avenues of research. Steve mentioned he had some free time from now to Thor's sendoff party, so I asked him to spend the day with me to catch up on all of the events we either missed or cannot remember.