XXVIII

It was time. It was time to board the quinjet, and fly over to the doomed country of Sokovia. They were to save it. And, if the citizens permitted it, to mend the city. To mend the world of the damage they had caused.

It was reckless, to say the least. To accept responsibility for demolishing a country and traumatizing them in the process. But that's what the Avengers had in mind. That was their plan. Coming out alive was an option, but some of them were prepared to lay down their lives for the greater good. They understood what it meant to do so.

The archangel was unnerved. She hadn't a clue what to do when they all arrived in Sokovia. Keep up with Pietro and fight with him? Stick to Steve? Be given orders? No, she thought. I'm not going to be ordered around. It's my duty and honor to protect mankind.

You go sis, fight the power! Gabe said encouragingly, and the female archangel felt more at ease. Battle wasn't a frightening concept to her, it almost felt normal. Natural. Familiar.

Please don't fight the power, Eden. But you have the ability to fight with the avengers. Fight. Maybe there'll be an altercation in the dimension and we can slip on through and pull you out. Michael said, and the female archangel nodded in agreement.

Pietro caught the signals when his lover was communicating to her other-worldly siblings. He was happy that her brothers knew that he meant no harm, and he was acknowledged by them. It was a tremendous step. Pietro had plans for the near future, plans that would require their blessing. Quite literally.

Eden and Pietro's hands were intertwined tightly, as they sat on the bench in the Quinjet beside Wanda and Clint.

Steve was tense, his jaw taut, his muscles flexed. He was poised, ready to pounce. Seeing Eden and Pietro together was unnerving, due to the fact Pietro took her from them. And ran away, leaving them with no clues on where to find them and if they were still alive.

He was sitting in the passengers side of the cockpit, just staring at anything but the two white haired lovers.

The world doesn't handle love very well. This lifetime doesn't know what it means to love with all your spirit and mind. It faded away just like everything else. Gone and forgotten.

When society started to change, and put their morals and values to rest, cupids stopped coming down to earth. They did their work from heaven, even then, their work just slowly diminished. Soulmate a were a rarity regardless of the help of cupids. But now, soul mates were non existent. Except for the unlikely pair, the Archangel and the speedster.

Steve was jealous of Pietro that he got this happy ending. Something to go home to. Something to fight for. Steve lost that a long time ago, and couldn't fight to get it back. It was time that was everyone's mortal enemy. You can't change it, reverse it or pause it. The clock keeps ticking.

When you do fight, Eden, we'll be there every step of the way. Promise you won't try to pull a Hail Mary on us, okay? Michael asked his youngest sister, hoping she would abide by his word.

Michael's never had a sibling beside Lucifer and his band of misfits, that really disobeyed him. Or questioned him. Or was really there for him. Eden was the black sheep of the family. She was a newborn, and she was destined for greatness.

What's a Hail Mary? And I know you'll be there for me. You always are, Mikey. And you too Gabe! Eden said back to the Archangel of the Warriors of Heaven.

Michael laughed, and Gabriel joined in on the brother and sister moment.

A Hail Mary is something you don't pull out from under your belt until you're 1, dying, or 2, dad comes home. None of which will happen. So don't stress over it too much.

Your enthusiasm is rejuvenating, Gabriel. Why don't you brighten up some other poor angel's day? Michael retorted, and Eden shook her head at her brother's antics.

She knew deep down that they were only trying to distract her from present events. But there was nothing they could do about the dark and stormy cloud that was raining over her head. Evil was upon them. And malice raged within them.

"We're fifty miles out... Begin to prepare..." For the end. Clint said, finishing the last bit in his mind.

He knew this mission will cost lives, but he wasn't willing to cash his in. He has a wife now, and children. Children who need a father to guide them and garner their spirits.

But the mission was bigger than all of them. Their lives were disposable, Clint's and the whole teams. Even Clint knew that Eden was the only member of their band of idiots that had 100% chance of survival. Guaranteed.

She had archangel brothers and Angel brothers and sisters? Can't they help out? They're good for something, right? Or do they just play harps on top of fluffy clouds all day? Clint thought, reminiscing on the time his wife was spinning a wild tale about the victories of angels and their adventures on earth.

He believed in some of it because let's face it, in a world like the one we have today, you've gotta have a rock to attach to and keep you grounded. And faith can be that rock.

The air around the team was now this 'end is neigh' feel. One mistake can cause the world to slide into the clutches of a psycho maniac android, who had the capacity to feel and think.

If they could barely scrape by and defeat the megalomaniac android, they'd finally settle down and find something to latch onto until the next issue arose. Clint would return to his little house on the prairie, Natasha find solace in Bruce, Tony returning to his newly remodeled home in Malibu, and Steve, returning to his everlasting hunt for his ex-mercenary best friend.

But for Eden, she'd want to travel with her lover, and find peace with her family and learn to be more- human.

The quinjet begun to switch gears, preparing to land, and Eden's grip on Pietro's hand tightened.

Because she couldn't shake the feeling that they'd be visited by an old friend today.

__