VIII

Eden

The whole team's faces were consumed in shock. Even I, too, was in disbelief. I didn't believe I was worthy enough to wield the hammer of Thor. Despite Michael's encouragement.

The hammer was light, almost feathery in my hands. I held it upright and handed it back over to Thor, who was struggling to regain his impassive state.

"You've got competition on Asgard, Thor." Steve remarked, his arms crossed and I glanced over at him. Steve winked at me and I could deduce that he was proud.

"How come the rest of us, can't lift your judgmental hammer?" Clint whined, and Thor grinned haughtily, quickly recovering from his stupor.

"There's a simple answer to that question," Thor twiddled his hammer by the leather bound, and caught it in his other open hand.

"You're all not worthy." He said, and I could hear the groans of refusal and sensed another argument boil inside of Clint but then a mechanical noise interrupted the peaceful silence. A piercing noise that made me clutch my ears and cause Steve to bounce to his feet.

Eden you need to leave. Now. I heard Michael's voice urgently speak in my head. But I had paid no attention to his wise warning.

"How could you be worthy?" All of our heads snapped to the right and saw a mechanical looking figure limping almost, limping towards us.

"You're all- killers." The robot feebly said, his oddly human voice resonating throughout the glass room. His voice frightened me to the core, and I felt myself began to shake with fear.

I haven't killed anyone.

"With the exception of her, of course." The robot said, almost trying to redeem himself. But he has left nothing but a long lasting impression of terror on me.

"Jarvis..." Tony said warningly, but no reply came from the helpful artificial intelligence.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or was it a dream?" The robot asked, picking at the pieces of broken metal stuck to his limp stature.

"Reboot. Legionnaire 06- got a buggy suit." Tony said, slightly panicking.

I will not be afraid to step in, Eden. You must leave. Michael said in my head, his tone revealing anxiety and nostalgia.

I once again ignorantly shook off his warning of flight, and listened to the robot unfurl.

"There was this terrible noise- then I was tangled in strings."

No one had uttered a sound, and the robot continued in his haunting voice.

"Had to kill the other guy." He continued, almost a strain of remorse evident. But then was replaced by his mechanical instincts that denied such weak feelings.

"You killed someone?" Steve asked, crossing his arms, as he stood in a prepared stance.

"Wouldn't have been my first choice," the robot almost shrugged with carelessness.

"But in the real world we're faced with ugly choices."

"Who sent you?" Steve asked, as everyone's growing panic spiked at the robot's reply.

We heard a static recording of Tony's voice, but it was much more chilling when it was played by the robot.

" ' I see a suit of armor around the world.' "

Bruce then whipped his head around to face Tony, and spoke in a horrified voice.

"Ultron."