Chapter 1

In January 2017 I left for South Korea to escape a traumatic experience caused by someone I thought would have been my future husband. My stepmother, Park Ji Yeon, took me to the airport at LAX. At 5:30 PM, I was Seoul bound via Korean Airlines. After 16 hours, I arrived at Incheon Airport.

South Korea is my second home. My appa (dad) is Korean American, born to a Korean mother and an American father. My biological mother passed away when I was 6 and my brother was 9. My eomma (mom/stepmom) is Korean. My stepmother is a wonderful person, contrary to what the fairytale books say about stepmothers. She treated me and my only brother like her own. We grew up not feeling the void because Eomma was always present when we were growing up.

It was a typical busy night at Incheon Airport, where I met Imo (my aunt), my stepmother's younger sister. She gave me a hug as soon as she saw me. I could sense the worry in her voice when she said: "gwaenchana" (everything will be OK).
Imo drove me to an apartment where I will stay for a while. The apartment in the Nohnyeoung-dong district is about 56 meters long. A bit small for something I'm used to.
She apologized to me for not having me stay with her and her family. She said your mom strictly instructed me to find a place for you. If you stay with us or someone the Parks know, it will be dangerous for you. She also said not to worry since her younger son lives 3 blocks away from my apartment. Her son, Jin, is a college student and lives with four other guys. Imo called Jin as soon as we arrived at the apartment. Imo handed me the phone. Jin was so happy to hear my voice " Noona, you're here," he said. Jin and I were close growing up. Even though I stayed in LA most of the time, we would always text and video call each other. Jin, my cousin, is 2 years younger than me. "Noona, go get some rest, and I'll go to your place tomorrow morning," Jin said.

The next day, I was awakened by a loud knock on my door and the non-stop ringing of the doorbell. I checked on the camera monitor. It's Jin with three other guys. I told him to wait a few minutes so I could change to something decent. I let the guys into my apartment. I said, "Please excuse the mess." I just moved here last night. Jin and the other guys were speechless while staring at me. I still have traces of a week-old wound on my forehead and upper lip, and bruises on my arms and legs that are now turning yellow. I excused myself to grab a light sweater to cover my bruises. Jin tried to break the ice by introducing his roommates. Jung Hyon, a K-pop trainee for a small company, "anyeong noona," Jung Hyon said in his bubbly tone. The next guy looks familiar... Noona, do you remember me? I had to look twice before I remembered him. I gave him a big hug and a peck on the cheek. Nico is my godmother's son. I haven't seen him in ages. He looks "grown up" from the last time I saw him when his family went to LA for a visit. His eomma and my eomma are best friends. Nico, do you know that I'm coming to Seoul? Did Bern tell you? Bern Nico's sister is my best friend.
Then there's Min Young Jae, Young Jae. I was wondering who this scrawny-looking, pale, and extremely quiet guy was. "This is my best friend, Noona," Young Jae, Jin explained. Young Jae bowed as a sign of polite greeting but never uttered a word. Youngjae reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it. It's my turn to be introduced. "Guys, this is my cousin Lee Nessa. He said she's in college to be a doctor. "Jin, I stopped school for a bit because, you know what," I said. I didn't elaborate, but I know Jin knows what I'm talking about. Nico seems clueless about it, as do Jung Hyon and Young Jae. They didn't ask me about it. Maybe they were told by Jin not to ask me anything.