Chapter 2

Today is my third day in Seoul. I woke up early and went straight to the fridge. I forgot that I hadn't shopped for groceries yet. I decided to go to the nearest convenience store to get my morning coffee and gimbap since I have a craving for it. I was surprised to see the guy at the counter. It was Young Jae. "Anyeong!" I said. Young Jae smiled as he gave me my card back when I paid for my iced coffee and gimbap. I thought it was the cutest gummy smile. I sat down outside and ate my breakfast. I was scrolling through my phone when I heard someone ask, "Do you like Kobe Bryant?" It was Young Jae talking. He went outside to have a conversation with me. I forgot that I was wearing a number 24 Laker jersey. Yes, I said. Kobe is my hero. I love basketball. I played women's varsity basketball in college and high school. The look on his face when I said "basketball" His face lit up. "Daebak," he said. " Do you like basketball too"? "Yes, I played when I was in middle school until high school," he said. That's how we started our conversation. I barely noticed the time, but we'd been talking for about an hour. We were interrupted when a customer came in and Young Jae had to go inside. I said goodbye and left him my cellphone number on a piece of paper. With a big smile, I told him to call me if he ever needed to talk to someone about basketball.
I went back to my apartment. Bern is calling. I pick up the call, and Bern sounds a little upset. "Eonni, why didn't you call me last night? , I didn't know you were already in Seoul. 

"Oh, miane (sorry) baby girl, I was planning on calling you after breakfast today, but you beat me to it."

" I'm going to your apartment. I'm actually on my way". 

" I'll wait for you, Bern." I unpacked my luggage and arranged my stuff in my apartment while waiting for Bern. She came half an hour later. We gave each other a big hug as soon as she entered my apartment. I missed this girl so much. Bern is way younger than me, 7 years to be exact. I was already in elementary school when she was born. Bern and I started being besties a few years back. I was in Seoul for her 13th birthday when I noticed that she didn't have any younger visitors. Most of them are older. None of her friends are present. I asked her about it. 

"Eonni," I don't have any friends in school, she said. My only friend is Kimi, but she couldn't come to my party. Bern is an introvert like me. I'm a bit worried about her since she's young. I don't want her to be depressed. Friends are important to someone at this age. It gives a sense of belonging. Looking back, I was like Bern when I was younger, but my basketball skills gave me that.

" Baby girl, don't worry." Eonni is here. I'm your friend too. I told her to call me collect or Viber me anytime 24/7 and we could talk.
Bern and I sat down on the couch after arranging my stuff in the apartment. "Eonni, can I stay with you here once in a while? Of course, I said.
She called Nico to come to my apartment to give him the kimchi their mom made. 

Jung Hyon came with Nico. " Anyeong Noona," said Jung Hyon and Nico in unison. "Oh, and Nami (Bern's real name)," said Jung Hyon.

" Noona, YoungJae hyungnim came home from his shift today and he was talking nonstop about you.

" Who's that? Bern asked. That's our other roommate, "Nico said. I felt I had to explain the situation because everyone was looking at me and waiting to hear what I had to say. 

"I met him at the convenience store this morning while getting my breakfast. We started talking about basketball and stuff." 

" Hmm, eonni, now I know why you forgot to call me after breakfast. You were talking to a guy. 

Aish! I said, "It's just nice talking to someone that likes basketball too. You all think basketball is boring. "YES" And they all agreed in unison. 

See! At least Young Jae understands my passion for the sport. I turned to Jung Hyon and asked, 

"Hyoni, does Youngjae work there full-time? I thought he was also working as a songwriter. " 

"Noona, Jae (Hyung) has a lot of jobs and he goes to school at the same time. He has supported himself since he was 18. His parents are in Daegu; it's just him and his older brother here in Seoul. 

" Eonni, are you interested in him? Who? I asked. Oppa Jae Young "That's nonsense. I'm just asking about him since he's a new friend." " OK if you say so." Plus, I have a lot of problems to focus on right now. I don't have time to like someone, not yet at least.