Chapter 10

I decided to break up with YJ

The day I was supposed to move out of the apartment my friends were there to help pack. YJ surprisingly showed up at my door. Jin was ready to throw him out, so I intervened and told Jin that he could stay. I was getting emotional as the night was coming to an end. All of them left except for YJ.

I looked at the barren room, cold and dark with just a small still light to illuminate it. Thinking this was the place where I was the happiest and at the same time desolate.

" I guess this is goodbye, thank you for 16 months of happiness and love. I will never forget you" He hugged me so tight that I could barely breathe. He kissed me and I didn't feel like resisting. One thing led to another and for the last time, I let my vulnerability take over. It was passionate, impulsive and intense, and full of love.

YJ tried to convince me "You don't need to go, I promised everything will be back to how it was".

It will never go back to how it was. Tears fell from my eyes as I spoke.

YJ hugged me as he was silently crying but this time both of us didn't want to let go. I was contemplating my decision but decided that it would be best for both of us to move on.

I moved out of our apartment and went to Ilsan. I stayed with Imo (Jin's mom) for a while, not informing anyone where I stayed except for Jin. Jin comes home to his family twice a month, so I talked to him. Jin is very supportive and always cheers me up.

I got accepted at Dongguk University and went back to school for a semester to finish my last clinical rotation. I was assigned to Seoul Red Cross Hospital. The hospital is close to the HB building. I am thinking that with just my luck, I have a good chance of running into YJ and Aera. It was a smooth clinical experience, meeting new classmates and future colleagues.

It was a busy morning at the hospital I was assigned to the OB Gynecology department. I was assisting Dr. Ava Kim with her appointment schedules. Most of her patients for the day are pregnant women some are in their 1st and 2nd trimester and some are getting ready for delivery. My mind was wandering about how I would look when it was my turn to be pregnant. I was startled by a familiar voice greeting me.

"Hey lady how have you been doing?"

"Omg Sunbae, how are you? I didn't know you were here in Seoul

It was Peter my old college buddy from the university back in LA. He's a few years ahead of me in school hence the term Sunbae.

"I heard what happened to you back in LA, are you ok?

"Never been better sunbae, are you here to see Dr. Kim?

"Yes, I'm here to see my sister"

I was surprised and said, "Dr. Kim is your sister ?"

"Well, yes my older sister. I'll put it a good word for you. Anyway, we should get together sometime maybe for coffee or dinner. Oh, and FYI, I'll be working in this hospital pretty soon.

"Jinja? That's cool. so nice to see you again Sunbae. Yeah, you need to take me out for dinner so we could catch up.

Then one day, I was walking from the hospital to the train station when someone grabbed me by the hand. I was startled and almost hit the person who did. It was Kai. Kai laughed hard when I finally found out it was him. We talked while waiting for the train. He insisted on having coffee or dinner so we could chat, but I was hesitant.

"Noona, c'mon, let's have coffee or dinner. I just want to catch up with you".

"Aish Kai! OK, let's have dinner. Kai and I went to the nearest KBBQ place and ordered samgyupsal and soonduvu jjigae. Kai has a lot of questions in mind. such as why YJ and I broke up and where I'm staying. While eating dinner, his phone rang; it was Jin and Nico calling.

Nico-"Kai, where are you? Care to join us? We're at a noraebang(karaoke) place close to the HB building.

Kai turned to me and asked, "Noona, the crew is in the Noraebang place right now. Let's go there after dinner.

"Kai, I can't. I don't want to take the train too late".

"I'll take you home, or you can stay with us for the night." Please, please

"Oh my goodness, you really won't take no for an answer, huh? I texted Bern and asked her if she would be at the Noerabang, and she said yes. I asked her too if I could stay for the night, which made her so excited.