2. lights, camera, magic

song of the chapter:
Girls Just Want To Have Fun
by Cyndi Lauper
•••

The full moon shone over the heads of the teenage team.  The campfire was blazing wildly, hues of red and orange brightening the campgrounds from the tall flame. 

"...And then the vampire sunk his teeth into the flesh of poor little Cindy Lou Who." Alec finished with a flair of dramatics.  Cass and Nate acted out the story Alec told. Nate did a weird vampire imitation while Cass pretended to be on the verge of passing out from fear.  Nate stalked up to Cass and pretended to bite her neck.  Cass fell into the arms of Camden while yelling,

"Trust fall!" Catching the older boy off guard while everyone burst out in laughter at Cass, Nate, and Alec's attempted play. 

"Thank you, thank you!"  Cass yelled out while the trio bowed to the rest of the group. "Join us next time to find out the significance of wearing bear repellent!" 

"Okay, can we play ghosts in the graveyard now?" Ian requested, getting a response that they'll play soon. 

"Cass and I have one more," Nora shouted out, confusing Cass because either she forgot they planned another act, or Nora never told the latter.  The former situation was more likely. 

"We do?" Nora gave a look to Cass that screamed 'seriously.'  Cass searched far back into her memory as to what they were going to perform and after a few moments, a clear look of recollection crossed the teenager's face. 

Nora and Cass frequently sang out Disney music, annoying the shit out of the rest of the boys.  Besides annoying the other teenagers, Cass and Nora had memorized many of the songs from the multiple Disney movies, one of their favorites being Tangled.   The duo knew that they couldn't perform an entire three-minute song without Ian butting in with the desire to play nighttime campfire games, so instead they agreed to act out either the Mother Knows Best reprise or the Healing Incantation.  The two agreed on the Healing Incantation for a few reasons. 

Nora wanted to play Mother Gothel and Cass had beautiful waist-length wavy hair which could substitute for Rupenzel's 70-foot-long hair.

"Right, where should we sit?" Nora points over to the log across the one Camden, Ian, Alec, Carter, and Drew sat on.  The older girl pushed Nate over to the laid log and thankfully he walked over to it without much hesitation. 

With the hand out of sight, Cass pulls her wand slightly out of her pocket and whispers the summoning charm to grab a hairbrush.  Fortunately, her discrete magic went unnoticed and when Nora asked for a brush she didn't question how Cass already had one in hand. 

Nora pulled up the hood of her sweatshirt and stood over to the side, letting Cass take the spotlight. 

"This is the story of how I escaped from being imprisoned in a tower for 18 years of my life.  Don't worry, it's quite an interesting story and I am positive you won't want to listen to me ramble on about my life, So I am here to only tell you about my magical hair." Cass pauses for a moment letting the groans of her fellow teammates fill the chilly air. 

"Now, once upon a time, a single drop of sunlight fell from the heavens, and from this small drop of sun, grew a magic, golden flower. It had the ability to heal the sick and injured." 

Cass stops and points to a hunched-over Nora gripping tightly to her hood, keeping her face away from view.   "Oh, you see that old woman over there? You might want to remember her. She's kind of important."

Cass brings her attention back to the group waiting in anticipation and continues the Tangled story.  "Well, centuries passed, and a hop skip and a boat ride away there grew a kingdom. A beloved King and Queen ruled the kingdom. And the Queen, well, she was about to have a baby. She got sick. Really, sick.  She was running out of time, and that's when people usually start to look for a miracle. Or in this case, a magic golden flower."