8. an unfortunate encounter

song of the chapter:
Sorry Not Sorry
by: Demi Lovato
•••

Birds chirping, kids running, and dogs walking. The Tonks family along with Cass sat at the top of the tallest green hill at the park. They had the perfect view of all the families getting together on Sunday morning.

The weather was nice, with a slight breeze that clashed perfectly with the hot dog days of the summer sun. The bright rays shone through the few clouds that littered the sky, warming up the crowd below.

Birds flew overhead, diving down every once in a while to pick at someone's sandwich and little children were stomping in puddles of rainwater that had yet to dry out.

Ted Tonks scouted the surrounding fields, looking for a dry, unoccupied area for him to teach his family the basics of the sport that was quite popular throughout the muggle world. Cass was excited as well, she had only played out in the yard with her mom as practice, however, her excitement was not comparable to Ted's. He was bouncing off the walls, eager to teach his wife and daughter the sport he played with his parents as a child. Andromeda had already told him multiple times to dial down his elation, while Cass gave him subtle hints, not wanting to come across as rude to the nice folks. Nymphadora thought the entirety of the situation was amusing and struggled to withhold her laughter that threatened to bubble out.

"Cass, this meal is heavenly, how ever did you prepare it?" Andy sweetly asked the young girl. She was curious how she knew to cook so well, delivering such brilliant taste to the receiver.

"A family friend taught me her recipe for the pancakes and I remember the rest from cookbooks I read over the years."

"If all your meals are like this, we might have to hire you." Ted joked while also hinting at the brilliance of the common American meal. Tonks mumbled out something incoherent through her mouthful of potatoes, but also likely commented on the excellence of said breakfast.

"I'd be happy to help prepare food." She then stuffed the last bit of her scrambled eggs into her mouth and wiped her trap with a paper napkin.

"Here," Andromeda grabbed the empty plates and placed them back inside the baskets Tonks and Cass retrieved, "Would you like to head down and learn how to play football now?" Both teenagers agreed to the proposition and Cass took this opportunity to roll her body down the tall grassy hill.

She started heading sideways but could care less as long as she rolled down and not up. Tonks paused for a moment, contemplating whether she should walk down like a grown woman or roll like the younger girl. After hearing Cass's screams of glee, the pink-haired witch wasted no time in getting on her side and asking her father to push her down the green terrain.

"Ouch." Tonks rolled right over Cass with little remorse. In the moment, she believed that she had passed over a rather large rock. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for Cathleen. The black-haired teen immediately took a stance and ran after Tonks downwards. Cass did not think of the amount of momentum she gained and what would happen when she reached the bottom, since she was not able to stop her sprint down the steep hill, Cass rapidly dodged Tonks.

Tonks saw this and stood up, she started trying to catch up to Cass, but the dizziness hit her like a train and sent her down to the ground once more. Cass was unable to slow her momentum and ended up tumbling into a bowling ball-shaped child, sending both her and the little boy to the floor.

A thin woman quickly scampered up to the boy, who Cass assumed was her son. "Oh Diddykins, are you all right?" The lady enveloped her son in an overexaggerated hug and checked every visible portion of his body to make sure he wasn't injured. "This girl didn't hurt you, did she?" The blonde horse-looking woman sent a glare over in Cass's direction. Cathleen felt scrutinized under the protective mother's gaze while she lifted herself up from the dirt-filled ground.