9. the burrow's game

song of the chapter:
Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land
by: MARINA
•••

Five days had passed since Cathleen's mother was murdered, five days since Cass arrived in the Wizarding World and five days since Cathleen Olive met the Tonks family.  Andromeda, Edward, and Nymphadora brought Cass into their family with no problems and helped Cass settle into the new arrangements. 

The guilt Cass held fell deeper with each passing day.  This family was doing so much for her and was being so sweet and caring, yet they knew nothing of her knowledge about the future or time-traveling mishap.  They don't know that she threatened a family, for a good reason, but still.  Cathleen needed to tell the Tonks of her past or else she would explode, but she fell into her lies too deeply. 

"Girls, wake up!"  Ted's voice flew down the hallways of the house, waking Tonks and Cass from their morning slumber. 

Cathleen's bedroom door slammed open and in came an overly excited Nymphadora Tonks.  "What's got you bouncing 'cross these walls?" The idiom made Dora pause for a moment, but she quickly shook it off and jumped next to the younger teen on her bed.

"We're going to the Weasley's today!"

"Right. Your boyfriend's house."

"I think he has a brother the same age as you."  Tonks attempted to lift Cass's morning spirits.  Cathleen stuffed her head under the pillow in an attempt to go back to sleep.

"Well is he any interesting?" Cass mumbled, her voice muffled by the pillow, although she already knew the answer.

"...no." Tonks struggled to lift Cass out of bed.  Cathleen had been excited to see the Weasley's, but her favorite ones were all a lot younger than she was. "We're leaving soon by floo, I really want Mrs. Weasley to like me so just please get ready soon."

"She'll love you as long as you don't help in the kitchen." Cass rolled out of bed just in time for Tonks to slap her side with the pillow she just had her head stuffed under.

"GIRLS! BE READY IN FIFTEEN!" This time Andy's voice was that one that traveled throughout the home.  Cass pushed Tonks out the door with little strength because Nymphadora left primarily willingly.

    "MUM! I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!" Cass quietly shook her head in amusement and familiarity.  The number of times she heard herself or Sophia-her childhood best friend- call that to their mothers sounded exactly like the situation with the whining seventh year right now.

    "WE WERE JUST AT DIAGON ALLEY LAST MONTH, FIND SOMETHING!!"  The call from Andy reminded Cass that she still did not have a wand of her own.  The one she did have was her mother's, and she left that in her past world, not knowing that she would end up in a new universe that same night.

    Cass opened up the closet and took out a borrowed outfit.  While she got ready for the day she hummed "All I Ask of You"  from Phantom of the Opera, missing the weight of her phone in her pant pocket where she had easy access to online music.

    "You both look gorgeous, now let's go, come on."  Andromeda ushered her children to the fireplace, "Okay, Dora darling, you go first."

    Tonks grabbed a handful of floo powder from her mother and stepped under the ledge above the fireplace. "The Burrow!" In an instant Tonks was surrounded by green flames and disappeared into the floo system, hopefully ending up at the Burrow and not some other unknown place.