12. news flash

song of the chapter:
Notion
by: The Rare Occasions
•••

The duo was walking down the gravel streets in the suburbs of London. It was earlier in the morning and shops were just opening up. No one would pay attention to Tonks and Cass for they were not causing a riff in the early morning silence.

"Oh my gosh, we must have been so wasted. I don't remember anything after we left from the spinning ride."

"Cass, we didn't drink anything last night." Tonks didn't seem to know how to break the terrifying news to her friend, but she needed to know that her body hurt and she had been acting sickly due to the fact that she was preparing for her now monthly moon transformations.

"Then what happened," Cass grunted while dragging her feet across the gravel.

"Have you ever held a fear of the full moon?" Cathleen resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the laughable question.

"No. Why would I be afraid of a glowing orb in the sky?"

"I'm serious, some people are."

"Yeah, maybe werewolves." Tonks looked down at Cass in pity while the younger girl ironically laughed at the ridiculous statement.

"What?" Cass noticed that she was the only one that found their current situation funny. Sure, werewolves existed in this world, but neither of them knew one yet and a werewolf wouldn't be camping out by a wild muggle carnival. The only werewolf that Cass could fathom doing such a thing was the mentally screwed Fenrir Greyback whom she knew to be in hiding. Greyback wouldn't make his grand appearance until The Half-Blood Prince and Cass would be long done with school at that point.

"Cass, last night. Well, what is the proper way to break this to you?"

"Just spit it out, Tonks."

"You're a werewolf." She spat out rather hastily, scared for the reaction she may receive.

"What? That's ridiculous. I can't be a werewolf. When was I bit?" Cass made eye contact with Tonks and the older witch could see fear in her eyes. "I'll never be able to get a job with all the werewolf propaganda in this world." The future Cass once viewed as her own was so unclear, even more so than once she first came to the wizarding world. Nothing was left in the hope of her starting a career that would pay decently.

"Cass-I-" Tonks also seemed lost for words. As she looked down into the eyes of the girl she viewed as a sister, all she could see was pain and fear. "We'll get through this. Together. As long as no one knows of your condition there won't be any extra problems for you." She said, wisely with confidence.

"Thanks, Tonks. I guess I should have assumed that not everything would be perfect in this new world." Although Cass seemed somewhat calm on the outside, her thoughts were scrambling for purchase in her brain. Her thinking was interrupted by Tonks,

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'll explain later," Cass brushed off the subject of her time-traveling experience, not wanting to deal with another issue.

Tonks suddenly stiffened beside Cass, staring directly through the window of a nearby café. The pink-haired teenager gripped Cathleen's wrist lightly and dragged her into the shop ignoring the latter's questions of why.

A bell jingled as the two walked into the café and took a seat in a booth facing the television screen which was currently playing the News.

"La première nuit du grand carnaval de Londres a eu lieu et les civils ont repéré une créature monstrueuse-"