16. back-yakking

song of the chapter:
Girl Like Me
by: Dove Cameron
•••

Awakening to the sight of golden and red curtains surrounding her twin bed was a sight to behold. Never in her life would she have thought that she would spend her first year of high school in a literal magical castle.

"Good morning, Cass," Iris said excitedly when Cathleen opened the curtains around her bed. Unfortunately for Cass, the happiness she felt when she woke up quickly wore down. The elation from the past few days could no longer outweigh the pain coming from the upcoming full moon and now that the transformation is less than twenty-four hours away the pain was much worse than the cramps girls get monthly from their periods.

Apparently, the wince Cass made when she lifted herself from the bed was far more noticeable than she wanted because Iris was immediately at her side. "Oh Cass, are you alright?" It was noticeable that the redheaded muggle-born was worried for Cass when the black-haired witch tried to walk, only to stumble against a wall.

"I'm fine," Cass muttered out feebly as she tightly wrapped her arms around herself. A grimace crossed Iris's face because she knew Cathleen was lying.

"Cass, I don't think you're well. I'll bring you something for breakfast, but you need to skip classes today. I'll tell the professors that you aren't feeling well." Cathleen shook her head weakly, managing to walk across the dorm room to the door.

"I need to go to my classes. It's my first day at school, I don't want that to be my first impression to the teachers."

"Cass-"

"I can manage today, it's not that bad. The last time I was in pain like this, I went to a carnival. All I need is some painkillers from Madam Pomfrey."

"You really need to rest today, do I have to get Tonks?"

"You won't be able to get into the Hufflepuff common rooms." Cass grinned and even though Iris knew that her plan to find Tonks and have her knock some sense into Cathleen would have worked had she been able to get into the other house's common room, she too smiled at Cass's happier face.

"I'm going to see Pomfrey," Cass announced and walked out of the room, still sporting her red and black plaid pajamas.

Cass was on her way down to the common, and in the unfamiliar space, she stubbed her toe hard. The soreness from the upcoming full moon and the pain from her toe made her say, "Fuck it," she took her wand out of her pocket and called, "Accio Tylenol." Soon two white pills shot into Cass's hand along with a glass of water which Iris handed to her stubborn friend. "Thanks," Cass then swallowed back two of the pills and took a large gulp of water to wash it down.

"Here," Iris bent down into a squat. "Hop onto my back and I'll take you to the great hall." Cass looked at Iris incredulously. "You're too stubborn to stay in the dorms today so I might as well make it easier for you seeing that you can barely take a step without falling over."

"Thanks," Cass responded sheepishly as she swiftly hopped onto the other girls' back. Still sporting their pajamas, the duo headed to the great hall where they would feast on a delicious breakfast and receive their lesson schedules from the Transfiguration professor.

Iris was stronger than she looked for she carried Cathleen down the moving staircases far up from the Gryffindor towers. Iris plopped Cass down on the bench next to Karolin who was still stuffing her plate full of the delicious meal that the house elves provided. The redhead scooted in on the other side of Cass and plated herself some fresh sausage.