Pre-departure day

Do you realize how hard it is to pack up your life and move to another country? Well, moving to another country is easy, but packing all your stuff? That is harder and more stressful to be honest. At least for me.

It's 41 degrees Celsius outside, 30 inside and I am sitting in the middle of our living room in Szeged, Hungary. All around me, you can see dozens of boxes full of packages, books, clothes, and everything else you imagine you can find in a household. Do not worry, I am not taking all my earthly belongings with me to San Jose, where I'll be spending my Fulbright scholarship period. I am packing things all up so that we can move to a new apartment the day after I take off to San Jose. Oh, what fun. Feel the irony?

As I was saying, I am sitting in the middle of the living room and thinking about how the last three weeks have passed so quicky. Folding clothes, throwing out garbage, recycling old clothes, cleaning the rest of the space and managing the boxes seem like easy tasks. They were not. Nor will it be to transport them from one apartment to another, but that will not be up to me. With that in mind, I am relieved for the first time in three weeks. I am finally good to go. I am flying out tomorrow to my new home for the next 5 months and do not have to worry (or at least not this much) about things being packed away. Thankfully, I am not alone in this. All the moving will be up to my husband.