Day 45, Sunday, Elton

Well, the day did not go as expected. Surprise. Tiffany got COVID, which meant that we still had brunch on with Susie and John and the amazing quiche Susie makes, except that I was not meeting their daughter. It is a pity, but I hope she recovers soon. Maybe another time. I was still in a sad mood today. I was missing my friend and barely slept yesterday. And had a show I had no intention of going to. However, I pushed forward and went anyways.

I took the bus and the green light rail to the event, Levi's stadium. It is a ginormous place that can house 40,000 people. You can imagine that I was not in the mood for any concert, but I was really counting on Elton. I needed this badly. So, I went in, strolled the concession stands and got myself a huge hotdog and fries. I was sure I would not be able to eat them, but I was wrong. I was barely eating the past couple of days, so I savored down this food right at my seat Section 315, Row 2, Seat 20. It was way up in the stadium. Side view, but I saw the back of Elton the whole time.

When I arrived, I still had 1 hour till the show, but at least I had an amazing sunset view while having dinner. I kept thinking of my late friend, as my sunset was unearthly. I just kept thinking about her. Very much into my thoughts and battling the cold – I was almost freezing – soon enough, they wheeled Elton from the back to the stage.

He was phenomenal. He did not disappoint. His voice is ever so strong. I was right to believe he is a musical genius. I am grateful I could see him live tonight. A farewell tour, meaning much more farewell to me now. When I booked the tickets, not in my worst nightmares had I anticipated that I will be saying two goodbyes tonight. And yes, I had the tears in my eyes moment during 'My song'. Even though he performed 'Sorry seems to be the hardest word', I was still missing at least one of his most genius songs composed for Lion King. Anyways, small things to fuss about. He was a blast.

After spending 4 hours there, I felt more alike to an ice-cube than ever. I got the light rail home to the city center. Then I find myself downtown, alone with strange people around me at 12:30AM at night. So, I just called an uber (was way harder than you could imagine), while panicking and talking to my husband on the phone, so that I am not killed, abducted, or God knows what right there on the spot. I was mentally tired of everything. The past days have taken their toll on me, and I was cold. When my driver took me home, I finally had a hot shower and went to bed at 1:30AM.

Apartment/husband update: He is my rock, keeping me steady. Sometimes I wonder about our differences because they are so striking. But today, I know why he is my 'the one'. He, with all his silly (sorry, hun) rational thinking, keeps me from going insane in my saddest and craziest times. All the advice he gives me, keeps me grounded. He would not let me just float away mentally. He is the other half. My rational half. And I am his emotional one. Nobody's advice on managing my grief is as useful as his.

Plans for tomorrow: I had to live my life to the fullest. If this had not yet been clear enough for me before, it was now crystal clear. I had a long bucket list, so I needed to get to it. Tomorrow, I am visiting an item on my list, Berkeley. I am not only visiting Berkeley, UC Berkeley, but Marci, the other Fulbrighter, too.

9 October 2022