Personal Entry: Food

We need a much more uplifting topic now. I picked food, my happy place.

If you know me, you know I love food. My fasting habit keeps me lean, even though in the past year I am 2 kilograms over my 'below your means' target.

I pretty much agree with the idea of eating below your means. If you are not familiar with your concept, let me summarize it for you.

1. Do not eat shitty food.

2. Do not stuff your face with unnecessary or unhealthy food.

3. Do not overeat.

So, if you feel full, do not eat more. If you can, choose healthy options. I pretty much love to adhere to this habit, but I have weaker periods and much stronger ones. I am on my weak period now, meaning I am 2 kilograms over my desired weight, but I am still perfectly thin and healthy.

You might ask, why is it good to eat below you means? Well, first of all, your body will get enough food, you will be able to eat anything (from sweets to bread), just make sure you do not get huge portions. Normally, I feel when I am overeating, because I cannot eat huge portions. If you are below your normal weight, health problems will hopefully not affect you much. I also realize that I can think much better if I eat below my means and I skip breakfast. I am rarely ill (hope I am not jinxing it) and do not really get ill at all. In fact, I cannot really recall the last time I was ill.

'Breakfast is the most important day of the day.' is a beautiful line created for the sole purpose of marketing. Marketing breakfast options to choose from and buy. I believe it was a line from Nesquik (?). Thanks a lot Nestlé! No, you do not necessarily need breakfast. When I eat breakfast, I feel that I could go back to bed right away. Others might feel that they cannot start their day without one. Just listen to your body everyone! It will tell you what to do.

Do not starve yourself. That won't get you nowhere. I know the grammatical incorrectness, just trying to be sassy.

I might have mentioned this but here in the US, I find it extremely hard to eat unhealthily. USA-experienced people kept warning me about how bad the food choices will be here. I have to disappoint you, or in fact the opposite, food choices are excellent! I might be lucky (lol) with the food stores I got to know and the food preferences I have, but I always find and shop organic products at Trader Joe's, go for a whole chicken at Wholefoods Market, and shop for healthy-ish and more European-ish bread at Safeway. The only unhealthy habit I took up is stuffing my face with Ben and Jerry's all the time. Just so you know, I only eat a small portion at a time, usually substituting dinner at 6PM. Trader Joe's is the US version for Aldi or Lidl (I can never differentiate between these two), except for the fact that here the majority of their products are organic. Very tasty, very lacking calories, very healthy.

So, when there is no event to attend and get free food from, like during the EMBA week, I usually shop in these stores and opt for the heathy options. I did not gain any weight in the three weeks I was here, not did I lose any (I wanted the latter one so desperately, but then EMBA week came with muffins for breakfast). There is always next week to start losing those extra 2 kilograms. I'll keep you posted. But there might be much more interesting things going on here than my weight.