Day 19, EMBA First day

Early morning this day, I had no freaking clue how lucky I yet again was. Here I am thinking my host invited me to a somewhat middle-scale event, bit grumpy I had to get up early, but looking forward to meeting people I got to know on Saturday and Sunday.

Professor Anu Basu gave us a lecture about the history and networking aspects of Silicon Valley, then had a session with an Amazon Director, Raj Minhas. I was listening to them, constantly thinking of my unbelievable luck. Maybe I should stop calling it luck. It is not luck.

Anyways, food at the event is reeeeally good. The kind of food you overeat, but at least they are all healthy options, except for the dessert. Remember the misconception I told you about? Healthy food here is actually easy to come by here, I'll tell you more about food soon.

Main takeaways from the classes this day: Professor Anu Basu's example with the pen: "What ways can you use a pen except for writing?" – Perfect example of making use of a product that has already existed. With her permission, I'm going to use this exercise on my classes, as this also is a perfect way to depict how differently people think and what amazing ideas they might have out of thin air (or their thick brains). 

Mahesh keeps introducing me to all faculty, so I am now in good terms with Dr. Basu and I am continuously getting to know the others from the EMBA program. Turns out everyone is from marketing... what A coincidence... or not.

Feeling tired like hell, I made my way through the entrance of the Student Union Hall. The last event of the day was at 6PM. I was debating whether I should skip it. Hell no. I am taking every opportunity to learn and grow here, and the last event was with Sabeer Bathia, the co-founder of Hotmail. They eventually sold Hotmail to Microsoft for 400 million dollars, which enabled him to work on projects he truly believes in. He was an inspiration. He babbled on being excited about those ideas that might change the world. He is now working on the foundations of a global currency. The currency that might change the world order and which would provide equal payment rates for everyone all around the world. In some years, we'll see if he succeeds. I am crossing my fingers for him.

Good news! I got my emails back! Our system's administrator restarted the whole mailing system, so I finally got to open about 80 unread (and ofc unanswered emails). Another great news is that I finally got my SSN (Social Security Number) support letter, so tomorrow, I am calling them for an appointment. I did all the online registration, so now they'll only need to see me in person. Once that is done, I'll receive my card via mail in 1-2 weeks. I am so looking forward to my SSN, as this would also somehow prove to me that I am now officially living in the USA.

Apartment update: My husband is a hero. No, I am not copy-pasting this, he is really one. He deals with all the shit, while I am having the time of my life. He and his best friend assembled lots of furniture already, and now the curtains are up, too. The place is beautiful. Our first home is going to be beautiful.

Plans for tomorrow: Get up too early for a project meeting at 6, then go to the second EMBA day. The latter I am now looking very much forward to. 

12 September 2022