Day 2, First day at SJSU

15 minutes. That is how long it took to get all my in-person paperwork (or should I say, Card-work?) done at SJSU. I am AMAZED.

Finally! On my second day, I felt some curiosity and a tiny need for adventure. In the morning, I was browsing through and downloading applications that might be useful here in the US. Hands down to Apple, tho. My wallet kept suggesting me very useful things, such as an in-wallet Clipper Card I could electronically fill with money and use it right away on the public transport. Clipper Card, I cannot be thankful enough. With my newfound public transport pass, I went to the uni and had my SJSU Tower Card issued. This is a kind of university ID card stating who you are and what you are eligible for.

Next in line was my travel pass. One bus ride is 2.5 dollars here, but if you have a Tower Card, you can get a Smart Pass on your Clipper Card, meaning you can use the public transport in Santa Clara County for 28 dollars per semester. I got these two cards in just 15 minutes. I loved this place already. Everything seemed to be (and still seems to be) going smoothly, services are amazing and the customers are the number one priority here.

I thought these processes would take at least half a day (as it would have been by Hungarian standards), so I had some extra time on my hands. I was walking up and down the campus (it is huge and beautiful, full of palm trees and curious students, called the Spartans) and Facetiming with my friends back at home. I took up a new habit of instead of texting, I am recording my voice to others so that I can tell them more while I am walking around and exploring.

Walking. People said I would need a car here. But I must say public transport is better than in some European cities. No need for a car. If I wanted to go somewhere, I can easily manage with the public transport, I just need to schedule ahead, but I am like that anyway.

I loved the campus already and knew how lucky I am to be here. All this would not have been possible without the help of my close colleagues and friends at the university, and a key person, a.k.a. a fellow Fulbrighter at SJSU, Ági.