Day 23, Karaoke night

Today, I just got my debit card details stolen. 50 euros were a small price to pay for what seemed to have been a vicious attack on my bank account. But let me start from the beginning.

Heading out for the day I was excited to have the final day of the EMBA international week, as we had some amazing activities ahead of us. In the morning, we left for Plug and Play. Have you heard of them before? Me neither. Turns out, they were the ones that made a quite lucrative business model out of renting their office spaces in exchange for company shares for potential ventures in the valley. They realized that this is what they need to continue pursuing after they initially rented out office space to PayPal and Google. As for a single business with them, Plug and Play earned 1.3 billion dollars (in shares) in exchange for their office spaces. It was an investment tactic they have kept on doing ever since.

At the exact same time we left Plug and Play, I realized I was trying to buy something online (except I was not) so that I got a message from my bank for authorization. I declined but remained suspicious. Then suddenly, I spent 1.9, 9.9, 18.9 and some more euros on something I did not buy and kept receiving requests to authorize payment. Thank God I acted quickly and froze my card right there on the spot. I was shaking with fury and nerves and kept wondering who and when could have stolen my card details. I guess it happens when you shop online, and this is something you cannot really avoid. In fact, when I told this to Mahesh, he said that almost the same thing happened to him this week, too. Apparently, this is a common thing here, I did not want to get used to. The first thing I got disappointed about in the US.

However, I successfully froze my card. Before you think this is a good thing, think twice. Now I was unable to access the majority of my money via my debit card – my new way of saving money, lol. These are times I like the fact that I overthink, and I had in fact prepared for this situation. I brought 6 (yes, six) different credit cards with me to the US. 1 down, but still have 5 more to go. If I lost 1 every month, I could still get by. (Plus I figured out Wise has an unlimited number of virtual cards...) I don't want to lose more, though.

I also managed to get hold of my bank via phone and thankfully got a seemingly (or hearingly) quick-thinking young man, who helped me out in 5 minutes. They registered my complaint and I have great chances of getting my money back. 50 euros is really a small price to pay for this lesson, but I would be happier if I did not have to pay it. I can even get a replacement card sent to me via post to the US (I am a bit skeptical about receiving it via the mail, though). I will try to get it anyway, just in case. I'll report back.

Having this 'small' disruption to my day does not seem that bad from afar (almost midnight here), because since then, I had an AI class with a teacher from Stanford and an amazing farewell night with the EMBA students.

If singing and dancing is involved, you can find me right there on the dance floor. There indeed was singing and dancing tonight, and there I was doing both. We had a fun night where we danced together, sang together and by the end of the evening, we started hugging each other goodbye. I invited many people to Hungary to give a lecture on their expertise, so now I'll have guest lecturers for the rest of my academic career from all over the world.

I also met this amazing professor – a teacher of international marketing – the second time this week, and we got on really well. I drank a bit of wine, which made me a bit chattier, so I took my chances and asked him if I could visit his classes. I had this strange liking for this man, like I had known him for a long time. He was kind enough to let me audit his classes. Little did he know that I now wanted to invite him to Hungary to give a lecture, possibly with his wife, who was also teaching at San Jose State. He must have seen something in me too, as when I was telling him about my plans with my hubby for Christmas and January, he immediately invited us to their holiday house in Oregon. We might drop by, as I would love to keep in touch with this amazing couple.

My second battle of the day included a huge tarantula. After having a nice and warm bath (AC is killing me, my left ear hurt today due to the cold I had to endure throughout the week), I was getting out of the hot bath and grabbed my towel hanging just right next to me and the bathtub. I suddenly had this 7th sense instinct telling me to take a careful look before I tuck myself in the towel, and how forethoughtful I was. I saw it immediately. It would have been hard not to notice, as this hairy-legged beast covered half of the towel. I might be exaggerating now. I screamed, but then I realized I might be waking Susie and John, so it was kind of a loud-but-then-suddenly-sound scream that you accidentally make and would love to take back right then and there. At home, I usually call my dear husband to take care of the dirty business, but I now only had myself to rely on. The towel was now lying on the floor where I had dropped it and there I was, standing naked. I was only hoping that the beast had not yet climbed up on me in some strange and mysterious way. It did not. I located it once again (yes, still naked) and started hitting on it hard with my Sketchers (yes, I brought in the big guns). If my scream had not woken my landlady and lord, this must have done the job. Hitting on the wooden decks hard with my shoes multiple times. Well, we all have our own battles, right? Mine were credit card fraud and tarantulas today.

I think I have had just enough for now. My ears hurt, so I take some vitamin C, just to be on the safe side, and tuck myself into bed, where hopefully no more tarantulas await.

Apartment update: It was my hubby's birthday today. He got a voice message: me singing happy bday in my morning voice. He has not asked for a divorce just yet. He also had a bit of a birthday gift, as he moved into our new apartment today. Or at least he is spending (actually already spent) the first night there. He sent me a picture of him pouring water into our beautiful bath. A well-deserved bday gift, I must admit. Hope he won't meet any tarantulas over there. Hot bath equals tarantulas for me now.

Tomorrow's plans: Christine from hiking group was kind enough to carpool me tomorrow to the venue, so she is going to pick me up at 8:30, and we'll be hiking from 9 to 11 in Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve. My first ever hike here, I am soo looking forward! I am also meeting new friends along the way.

16 September 2022