Day 64, Work, Work, Work (and shop)

Before I go on bigger trips or holidays, I usually love leaving in peace. Peace meaning that I sort out every pending issue so that once I am gone (or already at the airport, you know, a place I adore), I can focus on my trip ahead (and maybe watch some YT vloggers to find out the paces they deem worthy to visit). Needing clear conscience badly was my main motivation for working today. And another motivation was news hitting my inboxes that our project we have been working a lot on, Ulysses, is going to receive a monitoring visit from our national agency. Well, that was interesting.

With a renewed urge, I started sending emails to my colleagues about the next and final steps of duties we have until the monitoring team arrives. I am glad I had put a lot of effort into dissemination together with this amazing team of my colleagues, so I am relieved. And today, I made sure my conscience was the clearest about this issue before I leave. I also read about 5 thesis worker's pieces and gave feedback to them while having an online discussion today. I cleared my inbox and set that ever so precious auto-reply message. My favorite part about the auto-reply message was the fact that I would be away on a 'study tour', meaning that 'You cannot get mad at me for not replying, cause I am actually bettering myself so that by the time I answer your email, a much better version of me and my knowledge is going to answer.' – right?

I did all my laundry today and made bagels for lunch – of which I could only eat half, so I'll have leftovers for tomorrow, how neat! Oh, and I forgot to mention that last night, I booked a trip to San Diego. We'll really be making the most of California when my hubby arrives. As I was done with all the duties and laundry by 3PM, I needed some time off, away from my computer. What do I do when I need to get rid of my computer? Go somewhere! I promised to buy my hubby a scarf (ok, this was only the slightest reason), so I went to the nearby Marshall's and got many things, except the scarf (they had none of what he had desired). I'll have to tell you all about what I got so that you get a bit more glimpse of what consumer society is like here.

Marshall's is like a big secondhand store, except for the fact that they sell brand new clothes and many more things for a cheap price. They are usually branded products for half of what you can originally buy them for. So, once I saw that beautiful green (my fave color) Ralph Lauren puffer jacket for 59 dollars, I just could not resist. The same thing was true about a pumpkiny-orange mug with the word 'spooky' on it for 5 dollars, Mickey Mouse Xmas socks for 5 dollars, Calvin Klein pant and hats for 12 dollars, baby clothes and baby English books (for my co-worker's soon-to-be-born son) for amazing prices I cannot tell because they are gifts. I just needed this shopping spree, as I was feeling down and I honestly thought I was coming down with the flu (or worse, COVID). We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings, right?

Arriving home, I went through the new items in my collection and was happy about them. In the shop, I also spotted my second potential luggage I am going to take home. I'll need it, as I keep buying things and gifts, mostly for myself. Having a break from all the work and duties, I was planning the Boston trip a bit, watching Grey's Anatomy (now with a completely different eye based on my actual experience in the city), eating fruits for dinner, preparing for my trip to Boston in my mind, and going through my plans for the next day.

Plans for tomorrow: Go and watch the boys (Hungarian water polo a.k.a. Spartan Water Polo) play at SARC, cheer for them and feel the spirit! Pack for the East coast, find out (and buy) if I needed anything else for the trip. Relax.

28 October 2022